Supreme Court, and wine.

Today’s opinions have had a few surprises.

I have now lived in two states (MN and FL) that supposedly do not allow interstate wine shipments from retailers, yet I’ve never had an issue receiving wine from certain online retailers.

The articles linked suggest that UPS and FedEx do not accept alcohol shipments bound for the states that do not allow these shipments, but I have received shipments from both carriers. I’m a lawyer but too lazy to look into what loophole might be in play here. I actually suspect it’s simply a matter of enforcement being too difficult to implement, so various retailers just roll the dice. Thoughts?

Troy, I think you should delete that post. No reason to get anyone in trouble

+++++

He must have become habituated to his usual style of posting blink links and now needs to up the ante.

Seeking or opposing? Either way, good luck (although luck likely better if opposing).

Seeking. The US is seeking cert from the same opinion so odds are much better than usual

I removed the names to protect the innocent.

Except for yours! [snort.gif]

Hearsay!

I haven’t read Justice Gorsuch’s dissent but I can’t help but wonder if his primary concern is for actors who might receive an executive pardon from federal charges but find themselves subject to state prosecution.

His views were probably popular on PA Avenue

Doesn’t look like anything today on wine either.

Today’s decision in Iancu v. Brunetti is an interesting one. https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/18pdf/18-302_e29g.pdf
Funny how a full spectrum of Justices get FUCT under the First Amendment.

If you guys want to talk General SCOTUS stuff check out the great thread Corey started

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=152834

More opinions on Wednesday and perhaps either Thursday or Friday. Wine decision this week for sure

This decision has me wondering if the TTB will have to start approving some more controversial wine labels as well. Regulation of alcohol seems to generally allow for greater controls, but it would be interesting to see how a challenge to a Fuct wine label would play out.

ScotusBlog was engaging in reasoned speculation this morning that the opinion will be written by Justice Alito, because he is the sole justice not to have authored any opinions from the January term, and this is the last January case outstanding on the docket.

My hunch is that an Alito-authored opinion is good news for consumers, although the scope of the opinion could be quite narrow.

There is an interesting case pending right now in the USDC Western District of Tennessee related to a Florida wine shop’s inability to ship to a resident in Tennessee. Alvarez and UVA Wines, LLC v. Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission, Case No. 2:19-cv-02151. I will continue to monitor how this one plays out. TABC has filed a Motion to Dismiss, which is still pending. Trial is scheduled for March 2020. In the meantime, the Court has ordered the parties to mediation.

I’m interested to hear why you think an Alito-led majority would be good news for consumers. I don’t necessarily disagree, but I’d be interested in hearing your thought process