Supreme Ct to hear another wine shipping case

My WAG is that this case will not resolve (or really touch upon) the retailer shipping issue we’d like resolved. The 21st Amendment says that:

The > transportation or importation into any > State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or > use therein of intoxicating liquors> , in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited.

The challenged restriction is on the ability of out-of-state individuals to go into business within the state. It implicates use, “transportation or importation” of alcohol only indirectly, and it does so in a discriminatory way. It is hard to justify this kind of restriction, even giving the 21st a very broad reading.

But another S Ct decision constraining the scope of the 21st would be a good thing even if the decision is not directly applicable.

Then there is this in Michigan

My law firm recently won a similar case in Texas. Walmart (our client) challenged state liquor regulations in federal court, on constitutional grounds, and prevailed. The regulation at issue barred publicly traded companies from selling liquor. It’s on appeal to the 5th Circuit now and the district court order is stayed in the interim. This is an area that will see more litigation and hopefully someday some clarity.

What court, do you know?

lebamoff v snyder

Not sure where

Eastern District if Michigan (Detroit) Federal district court

For those who have Pacer accounts

But another S Ct decision constraining the scope of the 21st would be a good thing even if the decision is not directly applicable.

Exactly.

The only way I see the Total Wine case helping retailer interstate shipping immediately is that they are one of the few interstate alcohol retailers big enough to challenge some of the laws. Amazon is too obviously, but they decided that alcohol was too small a part of their overall portfolio to bother with. Walmart is a new one for me and they’re a bit of a wild card but with the current retail environment moving increasingly online, it seems inevitable that wine sales will move out of the 1930s.

If you want to ban out of state stores from shipping in, don’t you need to ban your own stores from shipping out? If TW wants to ship out, that could be a catalyst for removing such a ban.

BTW, the 21st amendment doesn’t apply to marijuana, does it? Can’t wait to see how that plays out with interstate shipping.

My interpretation of Granholm is not that shipping out justifies shipping in, but that allowing wineries in-state shipping while disallowing shipping from out of state wineries violates the commerce clause. It sure seems like that same logic should hold true for retailers. But, sadly, the equivalent case first needs to come before them, and even then logic does not always prevail.

As for marijuana: no. But you already knew that :wink: For better or worse, the states don’t need to have had the constitution first prohibit, then repeal and, in doing so, give absolute power to the states over marijuana commerce. They already have that, by virtue of the fact that’s it federally illegal [wow.gif]

Well, I guess I knew about marijuana. But the rationale that they’ve used in the past to bar wine shipments - kids will get it, there will be uncontrolled use, etc., would apply to marijuana as well. Actually, far more IMO, because kids aren’t going to order a nice Chablis to get drunk on next weekend.

But so far the SC has held that the commerce clause should apply equally, so I’m thinking that it will apply to retailer shipping. If not, TW can buy an acre of vines somewhere in Ohio and call themselves a winery!

And for those who don’t: Order – #43 in Lebamoff Enterprises, Inc. v. Snyder (E.D. Mich., 2:17-cv-10191-AJT-APP) – CourtListener.com

It looks pretty good. It’s summary judgment for the plaintiff, a retailer in Indiana. And it looks like the issue is similar to the Total Wine case in Tennessee. But it seems to turn on a provision in Michigan law that may not exist in other states allowing only in-state retailers to ship to consumers via common carriers (e.g., UPS, FedEx).

Frankly, I don’t know if I buy the court’s argument that Michigan departed from the three-tier system when it allowed in-state retailers to use common carriers. Was direct delivery by retailers to consumers an integral part of three-tier systems? Maybe it was, for all I know.

In any event, it’s certainly a pro-consumer and pro-out-of-state-retailer ruling.

Plaintiffs ask the Court to declare 2016 PA 520 unconstitutional to the extent that it amends M.C.L § 436.1203 to prohibit non-Michigan wine retailers from 1) selling and distributing wine directly to Michigan consumers, and 2) obtaining licenses and engaging in their occupations in Michigan.

Here’s the discussion of Granholm and the three-tier system:

Plaintiffs have met their burden of proving that the regulatory system created by 2016 PA 520 discriminates against interstate Commerce. The new statute permits only those who “hold a specially designated merchant license located in this state” to use a common carrier to ship to consumers in Michigan. 2016 PA 520 § 203(3). Though Defendants argue that Plaintiffs have every right to open a retail location in Michigan and ship from that store while maintaining their Indiana residency, > courts have “viewed with particular suspicion state statutes requiring business operations to be performed in the home State that could more efficiently be performed elsewhere.” > Pike v. Bruce Church, Inc., 397 U.S. 137, 145 (1970). In 2005, the Supreme Court ruled that Michigan and New York laws permitting direct shipment of wine from in-state wineries, but forbidding the same from out-of-state wineries, violated the Commerce Clause. > Granholm v. Heald> , 544 U.S. 460 (2005). Michigan and New York both argued in Granholm that excluding out-of-state wineries from selling directly to their consumers unless they had a physical presence in the state was nondiscriminatory because wineries need only open up an in-state storefront. > The Court rejected the states’ argument, referencing the “prohibitive” costs of establishing brick-and-mortar distribution centers in states that require retailers to do so. > Id. at 475.

Defendants argue that a ruling for the Plaintiffs would allow Lebamoff to do what no Michigan retailer may do: ship wine to Michigan consumers that has not passed through the Michigan three-tier system. > The dormant Commerce Clause is enforced against states, however, and the constitutionality of state action is of primary concern in this case. The governing question, therefore, is whether Michigan is permitted to enforce a statute that explicitly denies out-of-state retailers a privilege available to their in-state competitors. The answer at this stage must be no, for “state laws that discriminate against interstate commerce face a ‘virtually per se rule of invalidity.” Granholm, 544 U.S. at 476 (quoting Phila. v. New Jersey, 437 U.S. 617, 624 (1978)).

Michigan departed from a hermetically-sealed three-tier system when it chose to permit its wine retailers to join the digital marketplace and engage in direct shipping to customers. > The State created a market for Michigan consumers that implicated interstate commerce in a manner above-and-beyond that of a traditional three-tier system. These same laws then closed off this Michigan-sized portion of American interstate commerce to out-of-state competition. State laws that so favor in-state business presumptively violate the dormant Commerce Clause because they undermine “strong federal interests in preventing economic Balkanization.” Bacchus Imps. v. Dias, 468 U.S. 263, 276 (1984) (finding that a tax exemption for an indigenously produced Hawaiian brandy, Okolehao, skewed competition within the liquor market and therefore was subject to the Commerce Clause).

That is indeed some miraculous language. One wonders what it is about Michigan that seems to draw these cases :wink:

Does anyone know if it was common under three-tier legal regimes to prohibit the use of common carriers – i.e., to require customers to pick up their alcohol or for stores to make deliveries themselves? Or was that something peculiar in the former Michigan law whose amendment is the basis for the ruling?

That is indeed some miraculous language. One wonders what it is about Michigan that seems to draw these cases > :wink:

If I recall correctly, merely a $58K contribution to her election campaign that got her to sign the law.

As usual, follow the money. No doubt you can do that all the way to SCOTUS now.

Please. The one good thing about lifetime judges is that they don’t need to fund raise to get elected. Following the money is always a good thing to do. But when you do, I guaranty it is going to legislators and governors, not supreme court justices. And it’s not even a partisan political issue: Granholm was a Democrat, Snyder is a Republican. They are all crooks.

So money for everyone-including the people pleading the cases.

And then there’s this:

http://tax.illinois.gov/Publications/Bulletins/2019/FY-2019-10.pdf

BTW, in the context of the current SC nomination battle, it’s instructive to go back and recall that Granholm was decided by only a 5-4 vote, and not along traditional party lines. That’s (handwaving) 1 conservative (Scalia) for, one of the then swing votes (Kennedy) for, and all three liberal justices for (Souter, Ginsburg, Breyer); all the other conservatives (Thomas, Rehnquist, Stevens, O’Connor) voted against. I would not want to predict what a current court would do in an analogous case substituting retail shipping for winery shipping. I’d like to hope they would use Granholm as a model and follow it, but I wouldn’t bet money they would.

Does the actual law say the wine shipped has to be that “manufactured” by the license shipper? Wondering if a winery could ship wines other than it’s own [wow.gif]