Swishing wine in your mouth with food

It’s done with cookies and milk. [snort.gif]

I think etiquette goes out the window when I’m home alone eating some pizza and drinking myself a glass of wine… :slight_smile: especially when you discover something as magical as this.

Yes but so is talking with food in your mouth and chewing with your mouth open. (Something that is shockingly common! WTF?)

OTOH, something came to mind tonight as I was trying to aerate some wine using the Nathan Myrvold technique.

Remember the Bass-O-Matic? Just dump a glass of Sancerre in there with the bass and hell, you don’t even need to swish!

That would be Super Bass-O-Matic '76. [barf.gif]

If the contents of the Bass-O-Matic are then decanted into a neti pot and administered through the nostrils I believe this would enhance the experience immeasurably.

The neti pot has the added benefit that a small residue left in the sinuses would continue to give pleasure with a ‘finish’ that lasted for hours, if not days.

Disclosure: I do not sell neti pots.

I dip pancakes in my 2007 Chateauneuf de Papes, en magnum of course.

Stop wasting pancakes.

Wow, that thread got even more disgusting huh?

There is one situation I will absolutely take a swig of wine when I’ve not yet swallowed my food - if the food was piping hot and I didn’t realise it.

I believe that falls within the choking exception. However, don’t take a swig of 2007 CdP in that situation; you may self-immolate.

fwiw, the one time I had the opportunity to eat at Le Bernardin, my table was actually instructed to do this simultaneous wine/food thing with at least one of the wine-food pairings; it remains one of the most wonderful wine-food pairings I’ve experienced.

If anyone is avoiding trying this in the name of manners, I’d urge them to give it a try in the private confines of their homes — perhaps when eating alone if they’re afraid of offending their family members with their ghastly lack of manners.

Bryan, you have somewhat the right idea but a professional chef and wine collector once explained to me that there is a proper way to get the taste sensations you are craving without stuffing your mouth full of food and swishing the wine with it as well and risking a big mess and uncouth manners.

He said that the best way to ensure the sensations of both at the same time was to take a sip of the wine first and swish it around gently to let it coat your palate. Swallow, then taste your food. Swallow the food and then immediately take another sip of the wine again.

This will allow you to have the taste of the wine alone as a control mechanism, so to speak, so you know how the wine is changed by the food as you experience the taste of both at the same time without getting chipmunk cheeks.

Tran,
Yes, that does work, but sometimes not as well. Regardless, if simultaneously having wine and food in your mouth causes you to have “chipmunk cheeks,” then you’re doing it wrong. It’s actually very easy to do without making the huge scene some folks seem to think is the inherent result of this activity: just take a small bite and a small sip, and there ya’ have it!

You guys can laugh now but we’ll all be calling it “mckenneying” in a month… champagne.gif

Followed by Heimliching… [stirthepothal.gif]

Not to Debby Downer this thread too much but I was Heimliched last summer. NO FUN. For the record, I was not mckennying. Be careful out there folks !

I think “stuffing and swishing” sounds better than mckenneying.