Switzerland Recs

We will be in Grindelwald and Montreux in May so piling on here looking for recs other than lodging. Got some great winery ideas near Montreux from the new WA report, Paul, so you may want to check that out to see if there’s anything near where you’ll be. It’s a pretty extensive report.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will check it out.

1 Like

My family and I are staying in Zermatt on 7/14 and 7/15, arriving from Murren. Looks like we’ll arrive mid-day on the 14th. Then we head back to back to Zurich on the 16th. Would you recommend dedicating the full day we’re there on the 15th for the Gornergrat Railroad? We’d like to get in some hiking if possible as well. I’d be glad to get any advice and recommendations. Thanks!

2 Likes

We visited in April at the end of the winter season. I would recommend setting aside a half-day for the Gornegrat Railway and allocating additional time if you want to include longer hikes, etc. It’s a dramatic and beautiful experience that I would prioritize over anything else in and around Zermatt (especially on a clear day).

1 Like

Any dining recommendations for Zermatt? Looking for a fun/authentic experience, not something fancy.

We stayed at Cervo, which was great, and enjoyed dinners at each of their restaurants (Madre Nostra’s Italian & Ferdinand’s Fondue/Raclette). We also had a nice dinner at Joseph’s Bar & Terrace at Mont Cervin Palace (solid wine list) and enjoyed eating mountainside at Chez Vrony (great view and would be a good spot for a mid-hike rest/lunch & drink).

3 Likes

Flying to Zurich today. Intinerary is: Zurich->Luzern->Bern->Murren->Zermatt->Zurich. Thanks for the recommendations.

Enjoy! Find me some good places to eat in Zurich. [cheers.gif]

Enjoy Tim! If you are looking for casual and authentic in Zurich, I would definitely recommend the big beer hall off the Banhofstrasse. I think it’s called Zeghauskeller. Big plates of different sausages, schnitzel, and other local Swiss dishes served with big steins of good quality German and Swiss beers.

Edit. Here is the place.

An ideal retirement in Zurich. Wine and cigarettes in a park on a Friday afternoon.
E015F147-2F48-45D1-9A78-2C23123AA2AD.jpeg

1 Like

Looks perfect. Any particular dish not to miss?

The famous dish of Zurich is the veal in mushroom cream sauce. Served with a side of crispy rosti. I can’t remember if I ever had that dish at the Zeughauskeller or not but I’m sure it’s good there. I typically opted for one of the sausage/wurst platters with the killer kartofsalat (potato salad). Some bread, some spicy mustard. Plenty of beer. Good times.

I had that veal/mushroom dish and it was great. Very fun place to go with the family. We were very curious about the meat served on a sword.

We might have some time in Zurich next Saturday. Are there any wineries nearby that are worth a visit? Zurich is such a nice little city and the weather is gorgeous.

On to Luzern tomorrow. Have a reservation for Pasta Razzi. No definitive plans though.

Awesome. Glad you enjoyed it. Definitely a good family place. Lot of cool stuff to look at being a former armory. I don’t know of a ton of wineries or even vineyards in that area of Switzerland. They tend to be more west and south towards the Ticino region. Luzern is great. Very pretty. Definitely set aside time for a little afternoon coffee or aperitif at one of the many spots in the main square. Great people watching spot and very picturesque.

As far as Zurich goes, I would spend a day walking around the lake or even taking a boat ride on the lake and then grab some food to go and take the short walk up to Lindenof for really nice views. They have a giant chess board up there and some other kid friendly stuff, at least as of last time I was there. There is a fantastic little sandwich/panini shop on the Banhofstrasse where we would grab food and then walk up to Lindenhof during lunch like a true local.

Lindenof is where I posted that picture of the pensioners enjoying their bottle of wine. We grabbed some supplies at the Coop and had a snack there yesterday before our cruise around the lake. I didn’t realize you could get on and off the boat in the various neighborhoods. That would have been fun.

going back quite a few years we really liked Emilio’s serving since 1940

This might sound strange but I just ate the best broccoli I’ve ever had in my life. It might have been worth flying over here for it.

I was somewhat intimidated by the trip from Bern to Mürren but it couldn’t have been easier. About two hours using a bus, gondola and three trains. Everything was on time and easy to find.

The hallmark of Swiss transportation. Everything is on time and predictable. It’s very impressive.

1 Like

It was a crystal clear day here yesterday. Unfortunately the day we went up to the Schilyhorn peak was pretty cloudy.
7F76E9A4-C9F3-4099-AB63-5AB61AE6635B.jpeg

1 Like