Syrah Syrah Syrah

I like Morgan Twain-Peterson’s take on syrah in response to a rhetorical question “why is syrah scary?”:

"People are afraid of the unknown and Syrah produces excellent, but drastically different wines from a multitude of different areas in California. It makes excellent wines from the toes of the Sierras all the way to the coastal hills of Mendocino. People do not know what they are going to get—big, fat, and rich, or perfumey, lean, and moderately austere. Unlike Napa Cabernet, where the standard of what wine should taste like is so entrenched that any aberration from the norm is nearly universally derided, Syrah comes in a complex array of forms and flavors ready to come at you like a young Sugar Ray Leonard.
It keeps you guessing.

And I think this is why I love it so. It is both intellectual and hedonistic. … I know I can receive incredible quality, unique, Syrah from 2000 feet above sea level at the tip-top of Bald Mountain and Mt. Veeder to equally fascinating juice from a vineyard grown 15 feet above sea level facing the windy maw of San Pablo Bay and the Petaluma Gap at Old Lakeville Vineyard. Some will benefit from lots of oak, ripe picking, extended maceration, and some, will benefit from the opposite. And everything in between. And if one does it right the result is absolutely singular and delicious."

I align with many of the thoughts expressed by Morgan - particularly as it relates to California syrah - that provides an opportunity for drastically different wines but each with a unique and enjoyable profile, flavor and personality. I enjoy the range, whether it is an Arnot-Roberts Clary Ranch or a Saxum Bone Rock or Broken Stones, a Rhys Horseshoe, or Myriad Las Madres. There are so many delicious versions out there. Sometimes you feel like a nut; sometime you don’t. There are so many good options from which to choose.

PacNW Syrahs cover lots of styles and all price points too from $5-$100. $30-60 is my sweet spot for small producer handmade Syrah from Yakima Valley or Walla Walla. I prefer the cooler meatier styles and don’t mind a co ferment or some Grenache or Mourvèdre thrown into the mix. Dominates my cellar for sure and I enjoy several CA producers too, just harder for me to source.

I think you’re referring to more the general populace while Jorge was talking more to regular wine drinkers. The last few years Syrah, particularly N. Rhones and artisan New World producers, has been gaining steam with somms and wine geeks on social media. Grower champagne as well.

Some entry WA Syrah to look for

Hogue Genesis
Barnard Griffin
Chateau Ste Michelle
Charles Smith Boom Boom
Milbrandt
For a Song

This was a thoughtful answer. You’re a noob. Syrah is made in perhaps the broadest array of styles of any grape. And you’ve got recommendations here that are nearly all over the map, though I don’t think anybody has sent you to Australia yet. So before you go out and pay the tariff for stuff we say is “good” like a freakin 70 dollar Rhys for heaven’s sake, I’d go drink some syrah and report back. What can you get your mitts on?

There you go again bringing in “facts” to support your argument. Why can’t you go with random opinions and impressions like everyone else on the internet?

I’ve loved syrah ever since Greg dal Piaz opened a 1985 Chave at a dinner over 15 years ago.

A few from OR are starting to show up using WV and SO fruit. I just bought some Matello Fools Journey Deux Vert WV and Franche Havlin WV. Also picked up some Cinder Snake River, ID. The WV Syrah’s are low alc/cool climate and should appeal to pinot drinkers palate.

Dennis I just got the Biggio Hammina Deux Vert. Can’t wait to try it!

Try Novy. Good appellation wines at great prices, and some single vineyards at good prices.

With all respects to Todd, his wines take a little time to enjoy. I brought one of these to one of our dinners and the initial reaction was a bit neg from the more traditional syrah drinkers, but they came around toward the end. Sometimes I think Todd is trying to out Cameron John Paul. [snort.gif]

If I had to choose one grape to drink the rest of my life, it’d be Syrah.

So many good suggestions here. On a budget level, the Chapoutier Tournon out of Australia is usually quite good and about $12.
Much leaner and more nuanced than the usual fat, inexpensive Aussies we usually see stateside.

Loves me some Syrah!

Domestic that rock IMHO
Arcadian
Rhys
Copain
Big Basin
Ojai
Bergstrom (not yet relased, tried from barrel)

Did we scare the OP? He hasn’t even been back to check his messages.

Is this the same as the lamb chops guy here and on CT?

Same here.

Yep. I can’t think of any wine I enjoy more. So many different styles, but such flavor!

Ditto

Arnot-Roberts…