Tax Rate on Capital Gains on Wine Sales?

Ah, yes, but if you deposit a check from an auction house for $20,000 or $200,000 then doesn’t that raise some flags?

If one does not NEED to use the money, and has a cellar full of auction worthy wine that is not in danger of going over the hill, then I suppose leaving that to one’s heirs might be better…assuming the feds don’t get rid of the stepped up basis for inherited assets.

Leaving to one’s heirs that which one does not drink and enjoy, I should add.

Interesting perspective

1 Like

It’s the Leona Helmsley tax principle: Only the little wine collectors pay capital gains.

1 Like

But if you’re unlucky, there’s the Wesley Snipes corollary…

Between auction sellers’ fees and eventual capital gains tax for collectibles, it would appear that for every $100,000 increase in value, you would net only about $60K. Man, I am glad none of my Burgundies have increased in value!

Now hold on here for just a darned minute. You’re not selling large numbers of drinkable burgundies to any auction houses, are you???

15% auction fees + 20% federal + say 9% state + 3.8% Medicare = damn near 50%

If only we had a more contemporary example…

[whistle.gif]

Nah, just a theoretical discussion! You and I will continue to drink 'em as the years roll by.

Ok, here’s the next question…we know that for the sale of wine at auction, wine that has been held for more than one year, the capital gains will be taxed at 28% as above. I assume that one, of course, will subtract their cost basis (initial purchase prices) from the net auction proceeds (after subtracting any other costs such as seller’s fees, insurance, shipping, etc. should they apply).

Is it also true that a seller can deduct the cost associated with safely holding those collectibles over the period of time that they gained in value? Storage fees at a wine storage site? Or, if stored at home, the cost of building out a temperature controlled cellar, ongoing maintenance (repair, replacement) of the cooling system, a portion of the utilities for that percentage of the home’s square footage dedicated to the temp controlled storage, cost of insurance if a separate wine collection rider is on one’s homeowners policy, etc.?
All of these expenses allowed for the wine to be stored safely over the years and increase in value.

And if so, does anyone know of a way to figure this out, since one would be, let’s say, selling only a portion of one’s collection, like 10%, but some bottles may have been stored for 20 years, some for 15, some for 12, etc.?

Great question. Let me know when you learn the answer (and what it is - with citations please).

Hey, being a tax lawyer is all about knowing the questions.

1 Like

I’ve seen numerous citations stating that the IRS views wine as a “wasting asset” with a defined lifespan and with that reasoning chooses not to tax wine sales. I’m also aware the IRS is requiring sales of assets over $600 including wine to be reported by the wine auction houses…so which is it? Also great question above about deducting collecting and storage costs.

I think I’ll just leave it all to my heirs! It’s too taxing of a problem to figure out.

Citation please.

Also, it isn’t the IRS that has imposed the information reporting obligations on auction houses. It is Congress. It was done by the party in power in 2017 when that really bad tax bill was enacted.

The “wasting asset” thingie appears to be a U.K feature.

1 Like

Actually, it’s 0% up to about $83,000 in income, then 15%, or 20% and a 3.8% kicker for the 20% bracket. Collectibles are a bit different.

I have heard that the costs involved with storing the wine is an expense that can be deducted off of your net proceeds from the auction sale. Maybe it was someone on our street corner that told me that. Anyway, that is a bit easier to figure if you pay for offsite storage…only a bit, because I imagine that only the % of wine bottles that you are selling out of the total you are storing can be considered an expense to be deducted from what you net at auction. It gets even more complicated if you are storing in a home cellar, and even more so considering that the bottles’ “storage expense” varies in the different lengths of times that you have stored them since purchase. It is hard enough to figure out the purchase prices for all these wines.

I suppose that many people may not have reported these gains in the past, and perhaps if it is $500 or $5000 in sales it is easily ignored, but if a wire of $50K or $100K hits your bank account, and nowadays a 1099 is issued by the auction house, as I understand is now required, then I suppose these things cannot be ignored.

This isn’t advice, and the best the best advice is probably to get professional advice, but if I were to do it myself without professional advice, I would come up with a supportable good faith estimate for dollars per bottle per year in storage costs and an estimate as to how long I had stored each bottle sold, and deduct the storage cost that way. If I separately insured my wine while storing it, I’d deduct that too.

I would think it might be different if you regularly sell wine to make money, vs collect wine mostly to drink and then sell some to thin the cellar. But, it’s an area that’s not straightforward to understand the few times I attempted to research.

-Al