Teach me something useful about Rioja.

I forgot all about those San Vicente’s that GregT mentioned, but if you can find them, they are terrific.

He said he is looking forward to this and will hold you to it! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

I liked it ('09) at a tasting so bought 3 bottles. Drank one and put the other two to sleep.
I think its more traditionally styled but no brett.

Peciña used to farm for La Rioja Alta before he started his own label. His wines are absolutely in the traditional style.

I appreciate the thread Jay ands its always good to get Greg Ts input. My love for Tempranillo has blossomed over the past few years and having had many "older’ vintages, I agree they hold up as well as any other varietal with the exception of Nebbiolo as stated. I do prefer to drink vintages from the 80s and older over the 01s and younger. I find this latter group to be generally not ready yet.

Yes. That is why I try to explain the difference between information I gather and tasting experience. I have had the Esspecials a few times and found them to be very oaky.

The best thing is IMO: Most of the Riojas – modern or not – are still fairly priced. You can buy fantastic wines of both styles to good prices if you compare that to other regions such as Napa, Bordeaux, Burgundy, Tuscany etc.

Haha I know! Lets enjoy it while it lasts :slight_smile:

It’s better than good prices…some of them hardly seem to have budged in price over the years. And the quality seems better!

Best days ever walking the roads of Haro and Logrono tasting all of the Riojas. LDH still the most classic to me and La Rioja Alta and Muga seem to be a more modern style. Roda and Gomez Cruzado seemed the most modern.

Agree. IMO LDH Tondonia is one of the absolute best QPR on the market. I’m glad there are folks that don’t like it! champagne.gif

Go to San Sebastian. There you will find Rekondo. Drink some of their old Rioja… Profit?

[deleted]

Prices are kept low in part due to Visa free travel within the EU, allowing the Spaniards the option to employ traveling bands of Roma (Gypsies) to do the picking. It’s fascinating to see the caravans of people at harvest time.

Migrant workers do not come exclusive from Romania. They come from all over the poorer regions of Spain like Andalucía and Extremadura and countries like Portugal, Romania and others, as well as the influx of migrant populations already established in the EU that include Moroccans and South Americans. For what it’s worth, the Spaniards are not the only country to benefit from inexpensive migrant labor within Europe: France, Germany, Italy and others do likewise.

The Hungarians call them “Russian caterpillars.”

Every country that produces wine finds people to pick grapes who will work for low wages. Those people usually aren’t over-educated, but they’re hard workers.

I had the 2011 Muga ‘Seleccion Especial’ [Rioja] over a couple of nights, with a simple paella I’d made. Compared to other wines in the Muga lineup, this label in the US market is definitely an oakier, modern expression. But I actually quite liked it, especially on the first day, after it got a decant. There is rich red berry fruit streak here, smooth tannins, notable oak, very full body / thick legs, and great concentration. For a vintage that was reputed to be a lighter / drink now kind of year this was an impressive example, and despite tailing off on day #2, I’d expect this to be fine for another decade easily. Normally for red wines that can age I tend to load up on good years and pass most other years, but this might be a bottling I’d be inclined to pick up in lighter years when the price may drop. Sure different style than the traditional houses, but the Especial is still very good, and this would make a lot of New World enthusiasts, or casual wine drinkers happy either way. A- in my ledger and I was not expecting to enjoy it so much as I haven’t had an Especial in quite some years. No coconut, olive, nor balsalmic notes here at all to my detection.

I made a quick paella to go with it. The SO insisted the lemons were only to garnish it at the end, whereas I would have liked them to get warmed up, and infuse some citrus into the dish. I leaned on Penelope Casas cookbook (purchased for a $1 at my library!) for this, but recipes are only loose guidelines for me. The sharp eyed will note that I used the wrong kind of rice (basmati!) instead of bomba or similar below.
IMG_20200720_182422.jpg

I was told in Portugal that many growers are starting to hire Southeast Asian pickers. Their work ethic is better than most Europeans, even East Europeans.

Done that great cellar. Only one I’ve ever seen double magnums of first growth Bordeaux.

'64 Tondonia, on the patio. Hunk o meat to go with it. Perfection…