Tell me about Rivers-Marie PN.

I had an '09 Occidental last night and I wholeheartedly agree with the CT notes from Mr. Murray and Mr. Sonkin. This seemed easily the “biggest” RM Pinot I’ve had. I have a soft spot (like others) for the Sonoma Coast for its value and the Summa OV for the unbelievable aromatics. I had an '11 Silver Eagle a month or so ago that was delicious but that is my only experience with that particular site.

In summary it is a great list to be on, and one of the few I buy without hesitation.

A few years ago TRB got on WB and gave us drinking windows for several of his wines. Would love to get an update with his thoughts! Mr Segui can you prod?

Ok one more opinion on this.

I’m a regular buyer of Rhys, Ceritas, Anthill and R-M. I don’t find the “jammy” comment to be consistent with my experience. Blowsy I could understand. R-M carries a lot less tannin & minerality than Rhys or Ceritas or something like Anthill Abbey-Harris so it definitely gives off a different texture and impression than those wines. I find Littorai, Kutch, Windy Oaks, Ghostwriter and parts of the Anthill portfolio (e.g. Peters vineyard) to be a bit more fruit forward, sweeter and somewhat higher alc than R-M. But that’s just relative to R-M, they’re all pretty balanced in the overall scheme of things. R-M’s Occidental bottling is usually “biggest” but I wouldn’t use that one bottling to judge the whole lineup.

R-M somehow has a really distinct texture that I dig. It’s silky to the point of being almost oily or viscous. They also have a pine forest aroma that I don’t find in a lot of other pinots.

Some brief excerpts from AG on the '12 SC Pinot (to be released):

“The 2012 Pinot Noir drinks like an entry-level 1er Cru Burgundy from a top grower …

Rivers-Marie’s Sonoma Coast Pinot is arguably the single finest value in California wine.”

Mike is a fan.
Mike will take all the SC he is offered.
Mike is recalibrating his cellar and this fits right in.
Mike envisions sitting on his deck drinking this wine come April.
Mike is really cutting back this year and only buying his small handful of favorites.
:slight_smile:

Jimmy Likes RM Texture

Antonio Galloni is his report released today:

"Rivers-Marie’s Sonoma Coast Pinot is arguably the single finest value in California wine. If it isn’t, I would like to know what is. "

Having tasted various vintages of this wine, I’d put it differently - I’d like to know a better Pinot Noir value from anywhere.

Happy to have just been added to the list for this release. Hoping for allocation to include Summa, Summa OV, Occidental and of course Sonoma Coast. Thats about what my budget will allow for another producer. I think it would be interesting to taste the Summa and the OV from the same vintage to see whether either suits my palate more than the other. SC for its obvious QPR and Occidental because it it reputed to approach the quality of OV according to some of its reviewers. Hoping my allotment allows for at least two of each.

Any suggestions to swap out one of the bottlings for another, or is this a pretty good starting point for building a RM selection?

Silver Eagle if offered.

Chris D. I’m hoping for the same bottles. I’ll add Silver Eagle to list. Thanks Mike.

Thats it… I am going to have to get some of that Sonoma Coast at least! pileon

Why? Just give it to me. You won’t like it anyway. [drinkers.gif]

I think you should keep the Cali qualifier where the only other contender is likely Copain Tous Ensemble.

There is A LOT of very good Oregon pinot available at this price point and below. You would need to taste through over 100 wines from smaller, artisan producers to finally decide. But some specific examples for me are Cameron Reserve, Westrey Oracle (an SVD!), Matello Hommage, Patty Green Estate, Evesham Wood WV. I buy all of these instead of the RM. They are available from retailers for that price btw, not winery direct.

I will offer two wines (stylistically opposite to R-M) that measure up (or vastly exceed) in my opinion:

Lafarge Bourgogne
Pavelot Savigny Les Beaune Villages

Sorry John, I forgot the mantra - “No matter how expensive Burgundy gets, it will always beat California at every price point.”

Do I have it right now? [winner.gif] [wink.gif]

Mike -

No mantra. You asked for pinots worldwide that could compete with R-M SC at the $25 price point. I provided a couple examples that certainly do IMO.

I know John and I appreciate that. I assume you’re familiar with R-M appellation pinots? Where can I purchase your Bourgogne and Village at $25 or less?

How’s 2008 for the Lafarge?

not saying i’ve had the wine or that they’re any good, but the bourgogne seems like it’s $20 or so… any good tho?
http://www.winex.com/wine-1222841-.aspx#.UtcR3LQUnBY

They have 7, 3 are in my cart, but I’m awaiting a go from someone who knows something about Burgundy and 2008 and this particular wine.