Tell me about the first Berserkers offline you attended

Truett, Brandon remebers it well. After the nap, he travelled to San Jose and on to the east coast. Trooper.
brandon.jpg

Yep. He and Orlando were real troopers, for sure.

Mary will lay curses upon you if she sees that photo. I believe that is at Fritto Misto in SaMo. What ever happened to Sara Warner?

I was just talking to Bruce L the other night about remembering the wine he brought to the first large offline I ever attended. I believe it was even pre-Ebob, originated on the WestCoastWine board in the late 90s. It was a cluster-f (organized by Jay Selman I believe) with 50 people sitting at 7-8 different tables, yet maniacal about wanting to try all the good wines at various tables.

At a Berserker offline, at some point Dr. Dietz will end up drinking his wine through a Red Vine.

LOVED that offline

I have done many, many dinners with people I have met in the last 10 years on wine boards. The only true large group offline I ever went to was at Russell Bevans’s house in Sonoma Valley, and that was a long time ago. I swore if I ever got out and home alive, I would never do that again. I think Poppy was there!

I haven’t yet. But hope to rectify that this year.

You might not even want to use the word “rectify” with this crowd. [wow.gif]

Yep.
That looks about right.

hey winestein, how come you didn’t produce one of these when you visited the dirty jerze?

I organized one here in Sacramento and everyone was incredibly generous. I think there were 14 of us or so and there had to have been 40+ plus bottles of awesomeness. I drank way too much, didn’t spit, and got super sick when I got home. I think my quote to my wife was ‘I’m such an idiot!’ Great success!

Through WB?? Invitation lost in the mail…still waiting… [whistle.gif]

Did you bail on this thread like most NYC Berserker dinners?

Was that the one at Montrachet? Or some other place down there with a French name? It was not my first, but close. I didn’t know Volnay from a hole in the ground so I had to go buy one because I was curious.

POTY

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

But he recovered well enough that he brought his daughter to my house the next day and we got that great photo of her with Leo’s 12 Liter.

My first was the LI Wine Shootout at Michael’s. I think it was the summer of 2005. I had a few starters and then 42 glasses of wine for the “competition.” I hadn’t learnt the merits of pacing myself and spitting. It was a miracle that I made it home that night, using all public transportation. The true miracle was that I was able to get the key into the front door lock to open it. I had a nuclear stress test the following morning and my wife had to drive me to the doctor’s office because I was still not street legal at 8 am.

I still see at least half the people who were at my table that night.

Oh man I remember (barely) that night. What a fun time, though the cougars were SCARY, I’d never seen so much bad plastic surgery. We did dinner at Lola the night before and had some terrific laughs and wines.

My 1st BerserkerFest however was the one Frenchie referenced above in NYC. LOTS of fun.

[wow.gif] [welldone.gif] [rofl.gif]