Thanksgiving Crowd Pleaser Red & White

If your only guests are named Bronstien and Agrawal, then yes.

We usually have a relatively geeky crowd of friends and family so we usually go with a mix of Champagne, Beaujolais, riesling and pinot noir. The pinot goes well with most things and exceptionally well with Diana’s wild mushroom soup first course.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

And Velebil? :wink:

Please tell me where to get a case of this!!!

On the white side of things, there’s approximately a bazillion Grosses Gewachs Rieslings in that price window, and GG Riesling will win over both the old tired cynics & the enthusiastic newbies. [Unfortunately, though, in most markets GG Riesling will have to be mail order - you aren’t going to find it at the corner grocery store.]

On the red side of things, at that price I’d be looking at Sangiovese - either upscale Chianti Classico Riserva, or lower end old-school Brunello di Montalcino. [In a precious few markets, you might be able to find something like a Mastroberardino Aglianico, but in about 99% of all USA markets, you’ll be looking at Sangiovese.]

Down here, we’ve got a dynamite Chianti Classico Normale at about half your price point.

If you really want to impress the cynics, then serve them some Orange wine as an apertif, such as the Glinavos Paleokerisio.

And for dessert, I’d save the $$$s, and simply serve them Paolo Saracco Moscato d’Asti, which is, dollar for dollar, year in and year out, consistently the best wine in the entire world.

2015 Qupe Chardonnay Block Y, I believe the Block Y is Bien Nacido. Unfortunately it’s only $18 but it does taste like a $50 Chardonnay. :slight_smile:

Pinot Noir always goes down well at Thanksgiving, and you can’t go wrong with a Walter Hansel at around $40.

If I were going to serve American wines for Thanksgiving, in the $50-$75 range, I think I’d go with an Arcadian Sleepy Hollow chardonnay and a Powers Champoux Red Blend.

But, again, in almost all markets, those would have to be mail-order wines.

we’re a fan of opening Vietti Castiglione for thanksgiving, pairs well with the food and the label kinda reminds you of a traditional cornucopia arrangement

im curious about how a heartier white like a marsanne would pair

I usually open a Zin a Riesling and a bubbly to actually go with the dinner. But, generally a lot of the wine is actually consumed prior to dinner so just about anything goes. I also frequently open a port or Sauternes to accompany the desert.

Sometimes we over think these kind of things.

Indeed.

OTOH, it’s Thanksgiving that got me seriously into wine years ago, after being indifferent most of my life. I knew less and worried more.

I wish someone would have told me not to sweat it. Instead I read all the magazine articles and newspaper critics I could find - there wasn’t so much on the internet in those days.

Take Don’s advice Jim and don’t overthink it. Pretty much any of the suggestions you got are going to be OK. And if you go with Port, your dinner truly will be memorable!

This is fun, but isn’t thinking (even over thinking!) about this stuff part of what makes us Berserkers?

Plenty of good recommendations here today. (Crazy generalization but) most Italian, German, and French wines are made to go with food so with a good mix you can’t go too wrong.

Me? I usually go with a mid-range Champagne as an aperitif (and it goes great with the poached Salmon and cheese and crackers my guests snack on as they arrive). Bereche, Tarlant, or maybe a Chartogne-Taillet are what I’m thinking about this year. I put both whites and reds on the table for the main event so people can drink what they want, the eating tends to go on for a while. I usually bring something dry, approachable, tasty but not too unusual, like a Dauvissat Chablis. If you’re buying for the occasion, Paul Pillot’s 2015 Bourgogne Blanc ($30) or Chassagne ($60 and a noticeable step up) are both very good now though the village wine would like a bit of a decant.

For reds, I like to treat my very wine aware friends to tasty cellar products that are still food friendly. Probably will go with an older Bordeaux (maybe an '89 Pichon Lalande) and at least one Barolo with some age on it (2001 Massolino Vigna Rionda Riserva?). And a fresh sweet young pinot like a 2014 Freeman Keefer. Other than the Freeman I know these aren’t exactly general crowd pleasers, but they for sure will please my crowd! Certainly Langhe nebbiolos or a nicer Chianti would work well as crowd pleasers if you’re looking in market now.

Ridge Geyserville or Lytton, Bedrock Old Vine Zin, Thivin Côte Brouilly, Kabinett or Spatlese Riesling all come to mind.

I always buy a couple of mags of Navarro Deep End Blend Pinot for Turkey Day - seems to be a crowd pleaser every year.

I enjoy a dry Gewurtz with turkey - we will be having one from Dowsett Family this year. Cheers!

While I know it is important to some folks, I have never seen the need to stick to american wines for thanksgiving…

My favorites are Champagne, Gruner Veltliner, and good Pinot- Burgundy or Oregon.

For years, I’ve gone Kutch Pinots and two years ago added the Kutch Chards. Don’t plan on changing that this year.

I like to have some Cru Bojos, some Grenache/Garnacha, Kabinetts, Slightly oaked Chardonnay, and Rose.

Turley Old Vines we drink some at T-Giving every year. Crowd pleasing and budget pleasing.

For the big dinner with family who guzzle, I bring mags of Saint Cosme CdR. Generally a crowd pleaser and super affordable.

Champagne and Lapierre Morgon

Good choice.