Thanksgiving Day - What are you drinking?

Just my wife and me at the house, with my out of state parents and brother joining via Zoom. Going to pair a turkey breast with a 1990 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva I’ve been wanting to try. Probably pop something else as I cook - maybe an Aubert RR chard.

A couple of beers while cooking.
Bubbles with apps, probably an Under the Wire.
The last of my PGC ‘14 "Berserkers’ Cuvee" with the dinner.
A fortified Port-like wine that some nutjob in McMinnville made in his garage with our apple pie and coffee. : )

Got a bottle of this in a sixer I recently ordered from Todd. Do post some TN of it if possible, would love to know how it is

Decided that we’re going to pop this with roasted pheasant. If there’s an occasion for a magnum bocksbeutel of GG Silvaner, I guess Thanksgiving in 2020 is it.
IMG_1005.jpg
I wonder how many of these exist?

There are just 4 of us this year, so a smaller group, but still reason enough to open some good wine.

We will start with bubbles, probably Laherte Freres
Then move onto 1 white and 1 red, probably a Prum Riesling and a Bedrock Heritage Zin

These are all generally crowd pleasers, not too geeky, and high quality. But…I wouldn’t be offended if someone didn’t finish a glass and poured it away. We don’t play the “in” crowd game with wines and guests, leave that to the high schoolers.

+1 - my folks are in their 70s and they typically host, so just immediate fam for a year. Though we are planning something with them this Saturday outdoors with temps in the upper 50s, which for Boston in November is basically 90.

Wow, touchy at all?

• Matt

I will have five people, of whom one will only drink red wine, one will want a glass of red wine in front of them but will only drink Champagne as long as it lasts, and two prefer white wines, but one really likes full-bodied and the other leaner wines. With our usual 12-15 adult guests, even though most don’t drink a whole lot, I can open 4 different wines and know, even with second bottles of one or more being opened, we’ll generally get through most of what we open. This year, I am guessing I’ll need fridge space for the leftover wine, just as much as the food. Which is ok; something will be better the next day!

I like Zinfandel for the red, partly because of the symbolism of the “American grape” on Thanksgiving, but it also goes well with at least a good subset of the food we eat. Probably Ridge Geyserville or Bedrock Evangelho. Haven’t thought hard enough about the others yet.

– Matt

Just 4 of us with traditional turkey dinner. Villmart 2005 Le Celliere to start then a Moe Ayoub 2014 Estate Pinot.

in years past, I’d get a magnum of something that I’ll like but is also a crowd pleaser. I save my better bottles for when I’m with those that will dig them and then just enjoy the day with the maggie

I’ll likely open a Krug 168 on the Wednesday as I want to get a white truffle. For thanksgiving, I have some Flaccianello and Ramonet lined up for drinking throughout the day (It’ll just be me champagne.gif). Haven’t figured out yet what will get opened on black friday or on the saturday after yet. I’m sure there will be a lot of champagne opened.

2010 Louis Roederer Brut BdB to start, 2015 Arista Riesling Vonaburg, 2015 Aubert Chard Hudson and a Mag of 2014 Navarro Deep End Blend Pinot. I’ll open a Taylor 20-year Tawny in the evening. There should be six adults, so we may have some leftovers for the next day. Cheers!

Maybe a smaller turkey but a 12 pounder will just barely feed a small family with decent leftovers for sandwiches.

I will have 2 people coming over (mother and sister in law). They don’t know much about wine but can be a fun ‘tasting’ experiment.

Start with champagne, J.M. Labruyere Page Blanche & Pierre Paillard Parcelles.

Then for reds I was thinking of opening a ‘16 Felsina Fontalloro, ‘12 Rampolla Sammarco, and ‘13 Ken Wright Cellars Freedom Hill (gifted to me). I think that’s a different enough slate. I’m big into Italian wines so that’s mostly what I have, also new to wine so nothing super old yet.

Eyeing a 1968 BV Burgundy.

Yet to figure it out!

No minute like the last minute, I say! [cheers.gif]

Usually, I get up early to start the cooking and grab a white wine to sip and try to get a mellow buzz I can maintain at steady state for the day.

We also usually one a bazillion wines, but this year it’s just 4 of us, so half a bazillion wines.

I am looking forward to see how this thread develops!

Probably having a really good Champagne and some gougeres. Not bothering with turkey this year. Maybe make some crab cakes to go with the rest of the Champagne.

The two of us plan to order Chinese. Jonathan can’t drink for a few weeks, so I’d bet I’ll have sake.

I bet you have the coolest sake ‘glasses!’

The family portion of this Thanksgiving will be a small outside gathering, at which I’ll pour a domestic sparkler, probably Soter.
Then we’ll send people to their home dinner with a portion of the turkey and a bottle, TBD, of Willamette Valley Pinot Noir.
I’ve got enough of various '08s and '09s that we can all be drinking the same thing.

Gougeres and Champagne to start sounds perfect. Thanks I will have to copy you, David.