The best italian sparkling wine

Maureen, sorry, I should have specified that it was the one you recommended. I’ve not tried their Moscato. Here is my note from last month on the sparkling Nebbiolo.

• NV G.D. Vajra N.S. della Neve - Italy, Piedmont, Vino da Tavola (12/19/2020)
    Smells like the ocean with faint fruit. Crisp, clean and vibrant with light tangerine and mineral overtones. Tasty, but I am not sure I would buy again due to the cost. I’d rather pay a little more for more complexity.

Barone Pizzini Franciacorta Bagnadore Riserva Pas Dosé

The tasting note is in French though. I love this wine.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Vajra N.S. della Neve when served in a restaurant a couple of years ago. Enough to buy a case. Wonderful as apéritif. Dry and lively.

+1 for Lambrusco frizzante wine. We discovered it in our trip to Positano where it was the house wine in one of the places we frequented - we loved every sip of it. Recently found out that its a Lambrusco - still looking around to find a good one of these here in the US.

1 Like

I really haven’t tasted widely enough to have any business opining on “the best Italian sparkling wine,” but I loved this, too.

I suggest you a couple of producers of Franciacorta. Cà del Vént and Alessandra Divella.

They are both artisans with low production, and unfortunately the prices are creeping up. But in my opinin they make a Franciacorta which is a real expression of the territory.

Worth a try if you can find it in the U.S.

1 Like

I am surprised that no one has mentioned spumante from the Alta Langa. I prefer it to Franciacorta, and my favorite is vintage Alta Langa Brut from Paolo Berutti (100% Pinot Nero–he also makes a Rose). We served it to some visiting friends from California and they were stunned (and put a dent in my inventory!). Others that I have liked include: NV Fenoglio Matteo Brut Parèj, 2016 Ferdinando Principiano Alta Langa Leonardo Extra Brut, 2018 Monsignore Alta Langa and 2018 Gabriele Scaglione Alta Langa M/“C”.

And, winemakers in the Langhe are also experimenting making spumante from Nebbiolo. An excellent version to try is from Franco Conterno Piemonte Nebbiolo Nebbione Spumante ‘Na Punta’

2 Likes

I haven’t tried many versions of alta langa, but in general they do not resonate with my taste.

It’s not champagne of course, but i find that the best classic method are from Franciacorta and Trento DOC.

Very fine expressions of italian sparkling and a portrait of the italian terroir and climate. I should have loaded cases of Giulio Ferrari Riserva del Fondatore when you could buy it retail at 45-50€. Wasn’t even a long time ago.

Lambrusco is the perfect companion to cured meats.

1 Like

Absolutely! And probably the best italian sparkling that is not a classic method.

This.

On the paper Alta Langa should really be up my alley, but nope. Haven’t had one bottle that would’ve interested me.

It’s well put that Franciacorta is a cover band, but at least they’re good at it. The best Franciacortas I’ve tasted have been fantastic - can’t say the same for any Alta Langas.

1 Like