The Big 4-0!! A Few From 1980 (Dom P, Mouton, Silver Oak)

Thanks Kirk - appreciate it buddy!

Happy birthday! Got my wheels turning on looking into 1983. Also, very cool that the Silver Oak was something special. It’s the wine that first made me stop and notice wine in the early 2000s, but perhaps as the poster child for steakhouses, it got a bad rap.

1 Like

Thank you!

And good luck on the 83 hunt! I had an 83 Dom P about 5 years ago that was great!

Deleted.

1 Like

Thanks Steen! And i totally agree! If you buy selectively and are able to find bottles that have been stored decently, you can score some great wines in those ‘off’ years (and usually for quite a bit less than the ‘great’ vintages)

Happy Birthday! Nice wines.

I delayed the big festivities for last year’s 50th until …(?). I hope you get a full-on celebration with fellow geeks when we are all free again.

1 Like

Thanks Jayson! And yep, I’m 100% with you. Not exactly what I had in mind for a 40th bday celebration…but what can you do. At least I was able to open some nice wines!

Here’s to celebrating your 50th sooner than later [cheers.gif]

1 Like

A belated “Happy Birthday” to you, Rich. Here’s to many more. [cheers.gif] And may “life is good” be your refrain throughout.

1 Like

Awesome Jim! Thank you very much!!

It’s amazing how seemingly every California Vintage from 1977 through 1987 yields tremendous wines. Invaluable for Birthdays. Congrats on making it to 40, Rich :slight_smile:.

Thanks Nick! I saw your name pop up and was hoping I’d get a GIF. Thank you for not disappointing :wink:

Happy birthday! Got my wheels turning on looking into 1983. Also, very cool that the Silver Oak was something special. It’s the wine that first made me stop and notice wine in the early 2000s, but perhaps as the poster child for steakhouses, it got a bad rap.

When I used to do big corporate wine events I would ask everyone their favorite wine and Silver Oak came up a lot. Older vintages I have had have been enjoyable and it is far better than the newer vintages than Caymus.

80 as well. My stash of 80’s Napa Cabernet survived the year as I just never like a celebration. With the exception of a 1980 Mondavi that we opened at dinner with very good friends who are also 80 and are “in our bubble”.

Happy birthday and here’s to drinking them in 2021. I decided the 80’s wouldn’t have been released until ‘81 so they’re still technically still at 40 years of release.

1 Like

Solid night, youngster!

Happy bday, man.

1 Like

1980 was a helluva year, amiright?? :wink:

And I hear you on the celebration part. Definitley not what I was picturing prior to COVID, but what can you do! I do like your thought on the wines not being released until 81 anyway…so let’s make the call that all of 2021 is fair game [cheers.gif]

Ha! Thanks bud! Pretty sure you would have dug all the wines, including the Silver Oak! I mean, its no Ovid, but… :wink: