The Bourbon Thread

I can’t speak to all of them, but I liked the Single Barrel a lot. When I went to one of my local stores to buy some other bourbons and mentioned to the buyer that I liked the FR SB, he quickly dismissed it.

Of course, everyone has their own preferences, but I was surprised how quickly he dissed it considering it’s a fairly well liked bourbon.

To each his own, but I think the bourbon is too good to dismiss so quickly.

What bourbon would ya’ll recommend to somebody who normally prefers an Islay single malt? I don’t drink much bourbon b/c I usually find it too sweet, but from what I gather there is quite the range of styles with bourbon, and I figure there must be some bourbon out there that I would really like that’s not the A.H. Hirsch 16, which I absolutely adore btw.

It’s a little hard to say “people who like Islay whisky will like this bourbon” because I’m sure you know there is no real comparison. If you like Islay you might want to try McCarthy’s Oregon’s Single Malt Whiskey. It’s an American whiskey that is similar to Islay whiskey. You might want to try something with a little more of a rye blend. Maybe Eagle Rare 10 or Elmer T Lee. Or…maybe just drink rye. Michter’s has some good rye, but they are expensive. Old Potrero is also very good.

Ditto the Elmer rec.

Brian, I have a bottle sitting on my bar so if you’re in the neighborhood stop on by…

Brett, that’s an extremely tempting offer. If I weren’t a walking zombie today I’d swing by after work. Maybe this weekend … you’re in Century City, right?

This advice is spot on. In the true bourbon realm, probably the Elijah Craig 18.

Yup, in CC.

I like to read the reviews on this site to get a very general reading: kind of like a cellar tracker, but for bourbon:
http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/DBvd.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cool site. i guess there’s an internet chat board for just about anything, huh?

i wonder what their offlines are like [rofl.gif]

Indeed! Pretty much killed my bottle of Elmer over the weekend when friends came over for dinner.

Thinking more about it, I think you’d prefer rye over bourbon; generally rye is not as sweet.

Rye is Bourbon. However, the wheat based Bourbon’s are in general a touch more sweet than the rye based ones.

Whoa, the booze police are out this Monday morning! neener

Yes, rye is a type of “bourbon”.

Um, incorrect.

Rye is whiskey made with at least 51% rye in the mash.

Bourbon is whiskey made with at least 51% corn in the mash.

Thus, rye, literally by definition, cannot be bourbon.

Thanks for the rye tip. If it’s less sweet than bourbon then there’s a good chance I’d prefer it over bourbon.

Brian, my wife an I agree that the Eagle Rare (10yr) is the most “scotch-like” bourbon we have tried - though I have only 8-10 of these under my belt so far. Have you tried it?

No, I haven’t. I will seek it out. Thanks for the tip. [basic-smile.gif]

I’ve had the Rittenhouse Rye and it definitely has more of a “bite” to it than most bourbon whiskey’s I’ve had.

Bourbon is George Clooney. Rye is John Goodman.

Pappy 20 Reserve is my all-time favorite. But, it’s $95 a bottle here in Santa Fe. Also like the Russells, Booker’s, Basil Hayden, etc.
Best inexpensive bourbon (for me ) is Evans Williams and the EW single barrel is particularly good.
As for Rye, Pappy has a great one.

Jack Johnson

I think you just have to drink some better rye. [basic-smile.gif]

Rittenhouse is very good for the price, but it won’t blow you away on a blind taste test. If you can find it, get the Pappy or the Black Maple Hill rye. Michter’s is also good, but a little pricey