The Cocktail Thread

Did a play on the Adonis - 1.5oz Lepanto Brandy de Jerez (instead of dry sherry), 3/4 dry vermouth, 3/4 sw vermouth, dash bitters, 2 dashes Angostura orange bitters. Really good.

On a related note, if you can find it, go pick up some Cocchi Vermouth di Torino. Great stuff. Heavy cinnamon and baking spice that is really nice. $20

I tend to like whiskey and cognac drinks. I’ve been making this one lately because it’s complex : Waltzing with Vincent Price

Although I have not been using the crispin cider simply because I don’t have any on hand. If I had it, I would use it, as it is the only hard cider I’ve had that doesn’t taste like vomit.

Also, this one is nice as well because of the complex flavors it creates :

First Fleet

2oz Rye whisky
½ oz jasmine syrup
½ Fernet Branca liquer
Regans orange bitters

Shake all and pour into a Chartreuse rinsed glass

John, this sounds good.

Minor pet peeve of mine - why do recipes call out specific brand liquors. I can understand the Averno (although I’m wondering if the Fernet Branca I have on hand is much different) but why use Redemption rye as opposed to Rittenhouse rye or any decent rye that you like?

Joe, I only mention the the liquor I use as a habit. Sometimes when I make a drink again and I try it out with different spirits I will make notes of what I like and don’t like about the drink. I do think for certain drinks there are “perfect” spirits, for others any combos work.

BTW- I even messed it up. I Redemption was the High-Rye, not the regular Rye, my bad.

Made a Pergroni (a riff of the Negroni from the Art of the Bar).

1 Part Punt e Mes
1 Part Campari
1 Part Pernod
1 Dash Orange Bitters (I added a few more dashes)
1 Orange twist for garnish

Very nice stuff actually.

Wow, that’s a pretty high amount of pernod I would think, did it take over?? Would be interesting to do 1/2 pernod and 1/2 gin (prob Plymouth or similar) and see what happens.

It was good, Brad. I liked the proportions actually, though I did amp up the bitters.

I’m heading to the desert this weekend with a group of friends and it should be in the mind 80s to 90s.

Margies will be in the mix along with another tequila based drink I like…La Paloma!

• 2 ounces tequila (100% agave blanco or reposado)
  • juice from half a lime
  • grapefruit soda: Jarritos brand preferred, but could use Fresca or similar
  • ice cubes
  • pinch of salt

In a tall Collins glass, mix the tequila, lime juice, and salt. Add ice and top off with the grapefruit soda.

I love Palomas. When I was in Mexico in December that was what I drank most often by the pool.

Yea, they’re really refreshing. I just stocked up on a bunch of Jarritos soda too, so I’m ready to go!

When I make one at home the way you are describing I use Squirt. Most of the time however I make it like this:

Ice
2 ounces Siete Leguas Silver Tequila
3 ounces Fresh squeezed Grapefruit juice*
1/2 ounce Fresh squeezed Lime juice*
1/2 ounce Agave nectar
Sea Salt to rim the glass
1 Thin lime wheel for garnish
Fever Tree Club Soda

(Recipe curtesy of Jason Wilson via WaPo)

*I go to Whole Foods and buy the fruit and then have them juice them there.

Fill a cocktail shaker two-thirds full with ice and add the tequila, grapefruit juice, lime juice and agave nectar. Shake well and strain into an ice-filled collins glass rimmed with sea salt. Garnish with the lime wheel and top with a splash of club soda.

Love the fresh grapefruit juice!

This cocktail is probably a riff on a few others so I’m not sure it really has a name:

1 1/2 oz Hangar One Buddha’s Hand Vodka
3/4 oz Campari
3 oz Honey Syrup (Equal parts honey and water, heated on stove top)
1 table spoon Egg White
3 thin slices of lemon for garnish
Fever Tree Club Soda to taste

Place the Vodka, Campari, Honey Syrup and Egg White in an ice filled mixing glass and shake thoroughly. Fill a goblet-style glass with large sized cubes and the lemon wedges. Strain the mixture over the ice. Add the soda to taste. Stir.

Martinez

1 1/2 oz Ransom Old Tom Gin
1 1/2 oz Cocchi Aperitivo Americano
1 Teaspoon Luxardo Maraschino Liquor
4 Dashs Regan’s Orange Bitters
1 Twist of Orange

You certainly don’t have to use these spirits for this drink but I like it. I probably upped the bitters a bit FWIW.

I’ve been doing the Martinez a good bit lately, though I think I used sweet vermouth, not americano, last time…

Bombay Sapphire Martinis, shaken not stirred, three olives.
Caucasians.

Here is another DeGroff recipe:
(I do it a little different than him)
Old Flame
1 oz Death’s Door Gin
1/2 oz Vya Sweet Vermouth
1/2 oz Cointreau
1/4 oz Campari
1 1/2 oz Fresh squeezed Orange juice
Orange peel for garnish

Last weekend, I made a few versions of this. The classic style with Jarritos grapefruit soda, one with Fresca, and a variation of the classic with Jarritos and a squeeze of fresh grapefruit along with fresh lime.

Verdict?

I liked the version with Jarritos and fresh grapefruit/lime juice the best, but it needed a splash of club soda to get the right level of fizz.

As for the Fresca versions, didn’t like it; it has that cloying, fake sweetner aftertaste which I can’t stand.

There is a whole subset of mixies who are really into using bitters as the base of cocktails. The (now out of print) Rogue Cocktails book represented a high point, but the movement seems to be picking up a second wind with bitters having a major role, but not some of the 1:1 ratios I’ve seen. Last night, I mixed a “Mission of Burma.” Made it not in the least that the name is in tribute to a great band from murky years past, but somehow the recipe also intrigued :

2 1/4 oz Grand Marnier
1/4 oz Junipero Gin (used DD)
1/4 oz Lime Juice
1/4 oz Angostura Bitters

Errr, not so much. “Interesting,” I said. “Awful,” my wife said. She was probably closer to correct. I suspect that having a bitters I liked more than Ang would make this better, but not really sure I am going to go to the effort.

A.