The Cocktail Thread

Andrew, the Scorpion was the original Don the Beachcomber recipe ('48?). They didn’t have the Zombie on the menu but asked the bartender if he felt like making me one. Not sure which version I got because he was overwrought with guests by that point and I was overwhelmed with food. It was very good though. And yes, your post made me happy. :wink:

Enjoying making ‘original’ Old Fashioneds (muddled sugar with bitters and a touch of water, bourbon, ice and a slice of orange)

that must be hard for you Todd! WI has their own rules when in comes to Old Fashioned’s [pillow-fight.gif]

No kidding! That’s NOT an ‘Old Fashioned’ - that cheap ass Brandy, plus a ‘mixer’, and 7-up and a bunch of maraschino cherries…ugh.

Need more cocktail posts . . . and photos.

One of my favorite cocktails from the Violet Hour in Chicago. I have tried the recipe and it is quite tasty:

Juliet & Romeo
2 oz Beefeater
.75 oz Fresh Lime Juice
.75 oz Simple Syrup
3 drops Rose Water
3 drops Angostura
3 slices Cucumber
3 sprigs Mint
Tiny pinch of salt

Glass: Coupe
Garnish: Mint leaf and 1 drop rose water/3 drops of Angostura Bitters.
Ice: None

Muddle cucumber, mint and pinch of salt. Add rest of ingredients. Let sit for 30 seconds (time allowing). Shake. Strain. Garnish with 1 floating mint leaf and 1 drop rose water on top of leaf, and 3 more drops of angostura on the surface of the drink.

Pisco Sour:

2 oz Pisco (I’m currently using Campo de Encanto)
1 oz simple syrup
3/4 oz lemon juice
1 small egg white

Shake with ice, then strain into glass. Add 2 drops angostura bitters.

Lately I have really enjoyed drinking Jasmine’s but with Rye whiskey instead of gin.

1 1/2 ounces of rye whiskey
1 ounce cointreau
3/4 ounce campari
1/2 ounce lemon juice
Traditionally shaken and strained into a cocktail glass, I prefer to shake quickly and serve in a old fashioned glass. Garnish with a lemon wheel and a cherry

Digging Fidencio Mezcal classico. Love it neat, but makes some interesting cocktails, too. Last night made a few rounds of these, based on a recipe I saw on their website with a few tweaks. It’s a bit like a smoky, earthy margarita.The bitters adds a nice touch.

2 part Mezcal
1/2 lemon juice
1/4 lime juice
squeeze of agave syrup (to taste, I used a bit less than a tsp)
2 dash bitters

Shake over cracked ice, strain into chilled glass.

This is kinda basic, but I’m really enjoying this drink: Right out of the Paleo Solution book by Robb Wolfe…

The NorCal Margarita:

Tequila
A ton of fresh squeezed lime juice
Club soda

on the rocks.

I could drink that. In fact, I’m going to tonight!

Some awesome cocktails tonight at Restaurant Eugene and H&F. Need to hit these places more often.

Made a Moscow Mule Saturday night:

2 oz vodka
5oz ginger beer
1oz fresh squeezed lime
splash of Rose’s Lime Juice
add ice

I need to get some copper mugs :slight_smile:.

I own some copper mugs. They are fun to pull out every now and then.

I will add a new one I discovered this weekend. What a great summer refresher that will sneak up on you if you’re not careful.

The St-Germain Cocktail
2 parts Brut Champagne or Dry Sparkling Wine
1½ parts St-Germain
2 parts Club Soda

Interesting, nicely complex, but a bit too much on the citrusy- side for me. Added some extra rye and that did the trick.

Trying a “North Garden” tonight, a spin on the old fashioned with a bit of Lagavulin, a fair amount of bourbon, and a lot of apple brandy. The Lagavulin may be in at the smallest amount, but it’s the most present. From Tasting Table’s very nice “Back Bar” cocktail series: Tasting Table - Not your typical food site (then click “With a Twist”)

I met our own Frank Deis and his lovely wife Louise at Aziza in SF last Sunday night. A Michelin star Moroccan restaurant, their cocktail menu was almost more interesting than the food menu.

This online menu is not quite as detailed as the menu in the restaurant, but they were excellent. I got the almond, Frank got the Kumquat, and Louise got the Pear I think ? (I know it had ginger). I got another cocktail for dessert, but I can’t for the life of me remember what it was [wow.gif] . We tried each others cocktails, and they were all excellent. Now that I think about it, I might have gotten the kumquat as my dessert. But wow, the almond was amazing. I would go back there for the cocktails alone. [cheers.gif]

At Jaleo in Las Vegas I had a Tomatina Negroni, basically a regular recipe with tomato water. Really nice and simple. Also sampled the Sangre y Fuego- Mezcal, house-made Sangrita, Cherry Liquor and sweet vermouth. Also tasted my wife’s Jaleo Bramble- Vodka, Txakolina, cucumber water and seasonal berry puree. Good but not what I’m after in a cocktail. Fun place in the Cosmopolitan if you haven’t been.

Alright you frustrated mixologists, give some cocktail suggestions that use basil. My little basil plant has decided to go on a growth spurt.