The "how I got caught" thread

This is one of the reasons why I keep a wine locker in Chicago, far from prying eyes!

So THAT’S why I had to send the La Chapelle you bought from me to Chicago!!

I actually made mention to my wife yesterday that it was Berserker Day for which I only received a cross look, thought she took it pretty well…this morning I woke up went to the computer and found a sign attached to the keyboard “DO NOT BUY ANYMORE WINE!”

we may know someone that can get it for us and hold it newhere

I only bought 2.5 cases - 2 cases were cheap everyday drinkers, so I didn’t mind saying mentioning, as we need more everyday drinkers. BUT speaking of getting caught this weekend…

A couple of weeks ago I had an afternoon business in the city. Leslie is not available on Wednesday evenings (I kid you not - agility training with the dog). I was in a funky mood, so walked uptown to Columbus Circle and had dinner in the Salon at Per Se. Didn’t bother mentioning it for the same reason we don’t always mention our wine purchases.

A week ago I ate dinner at the bar at the Whelk, the best local restaurant here in Westport. Anyhoo, I was chatting it up with Doug the Bartender, who is also a big eater and who did not know about Salon. So on Saturday, well you can guess what is coming, Leslie and I went to the Whelk to have dinner at the bar, Doug came over and enthusiastically started in with “so glad you told me about the Salon at Per Se…”

Isn’t there supposed to be some Code of Silence with a bartender?

While having lunch with my mom and wife this saturday my mom brought up a large payment made from my savings account to my credit card (my mom’s account and mine have been linked since the dawn of time and I’ve been too lazy to remove her from it) for some recent wine purchases. Talk about the bartender throwing you up the bus, my mom screwed me! newhere

Is there now a weekly ‘Charlie Fu makes so much money…’ post on Wine Berserkers? Last week we had the ‘my paycheck is too much for electronic deposit limits’ and this year we have a talk about large sums of money transacted in your account with your mommy. I wonder what next week will bring! flirtysmile

I am a poor attorney compared to the likes of you south oc folks with your international weddings newhere

My wife walked by mid buying spree and asked, ‘What are you buying?’.
Reply, ‘mostly Oregon Pinot’.
Next question, ‘Good deals?’.
Reply, ‘Yep’.
Answer, ‘I’m in for half’.

Nice…First wife was a beer drkinker. 2nd marriages are so much better.

[winner.gif] [welldone.gif]

My purchases were modest. First one I reminded DH how much he enjoyed the POE wines at Falltacular last year. I just told him I had to go up to the PC in my office to order him some wine…

Then I went for some Cabot…

That’s what I like. A subtle hint [snort.gif] [cheers.gif]

I just told her “Don’t you nevermind, Woman. You get back in that kitchen and cook me some vittles!”

Todd, she’s not a member here, right?

I was getting ready to buy something and all of a sudden, I was floating in the water, no computer screen, I didn’t know where I was.

Holy Victor 2.0!

A fraud alert? Was there a Garagiste offer that I missed?

For the next time, set it up so they call your wife first–save you the trouble [snort.gif] neener

Rochefort 10 is a good substitute for Westvleteren (I actually like the Rochefort better), and a damn sight easier to find.

God help you if she discovers Cantillon. [help.gif]

We have Rochefort 10 at home. I think Westy blows it away. What is this Cantillon you speak of?

Cantillon is to beer, what Romanee-Conti is to wine.

http://www.cantillon.be/br/3_1

Best of the best. Difficult to acquire, and worth the effort.

Edited to add: Stylistically, Cantillon is nothing at all like Westvleteren. These beers are fermented with wild yeast, and have a strong Brettanomyces character. They are tart, bitter, dry, leathery, horse-blankety, and above comparison.