The joys of cheap, everyday wine...

Somehow I’ve become something of an advocate for the format. As long as you know you like the wine, and you’ll be able to finish four bottles worth in a month or so, it just makes sense for wines where there’s no intention to age them. Box Rose is one of the most obvious things in the world.

One of the best summers I ever experienced was living in Paris for six weeks, fueled by 5 euro rose that I would grab from the supermarket, exploring a new one each time.
Also I once splurged in law school on a $20 LAN rioja, and have had a hard time finding wine that beats the memory of it.

Just had 3 bottles of this delivered (2018 vintage) at your note above…look forward to trying them

No better cheap wine than Davenport Cellars

Drinking 2015 Umani Ronchi Rosso Conero San Lorenzo Montepulciano with homemade pizza tonight—Envoyer special and it’s delightful.

I have consistently been impressed with the value-priced Bordeaux I’ve opened (always selected with assistance from some kind of retailer or critic recommendation, or past experience with the Château as there’s just too much out there otherwise, unless you have the opportunity to taste bunches of them before buying).

CT tells me these are the ones I’ve opened so far in 2020 and while I may have liked some better than others, none were duds, and all were in that $14-18 ish range on release. Good stuff. [cheers.gif]

2009 Château Pierre de Montignac Médoc

2015 Château Poitevin Médoc

2009 Château Prieuré Canteloup Blaye Côtes de Bordeaux

2015 Château de Monbazan Grand Vin de Graves

2009 Château Bellevue La Randée Bordeaux

2011 Château Pré La Lande Cuvée #1 Sainte Foy Bordeaux

2016 Chateau Dauzac from costco for $9.99. Perform like a $29.99+ wine.

One of my favorite wines for under USD 20 is Meandro by Quinta do Vale Meao. It sells for EUR 10 in Portugal and should be available for around USD 15-20 in the US. Very good points by the experts (92 PP, etc.) as well.

And of course there is lots of fantastic Beaujolais for under USD 20.

Space in the cellar…I need more space.

And for me, that’s the conundrum!

Space is a premium, so I end up stocking up on premium wines over QPRs, yet drink QPRs several times per week. Nothing like cracking a QPR like a 2000 Lanessan and saying, wow, this was an incredible buy and damn well worth the wait. PS. The 2016 Lanessan bites. Very disappointed.

I have been enjoying this 2018 Cote Du Rhône white in a box from Clos Des Lumieres. Just as the temperature rises in Boston, this fruit forward blend of Grenache Blanc, Viognier and Bourboulenc delivers all the time. $25 a box 3L.
1F07BCCC-7F83-4E40-8BD6-D4903AB27D4E.jpeg

Agreed. I would need triple or more the cellar space I have to age all my “weekend” wines properly AND age all my “weeknight” wines as much as I’d like. I’d love to be drinking 2000-2005 cheap Bdx on weeknights now, instead of 2009-2015, but space is finite and I prioritize the “good stuff” (and gladly so, given that I have to choose, I just wish I didn’t). Though I’ve started stretching the boundaries by stacking cases on the floor. Works fine as long as I don’t have to retrieve anything from the shelves in the back… [wow.gif]