The myth of travel shock

I don t think refrigeration is the entire issue. There is the constant vibration of the ship, etc.

This is not to say things cannot go wrong with temperature either way. I was a witness in a case where the container of Lafite and Lafite family wines was frozen when the thermostat went haywire.
Heat damage is always an issue.

It’s not. That’s one of my points.

There are some colloidal suspensions in wine, mainly those composed of tannins. But from what I’ve been able to find in literature, their binding energies are on the order of 5kJ/mol. So while a bit weaker than just a straight hydrogen bond, still much, much stronger than could be disrupted by vibrating or shaking a bottle, or even putting the wine in a blender.

When I taught college chemistry, these kinds of calculations were still in use. Maybe chemistry has changed since then [snort.gif]
But see above, because apparently there are still some scientists writing in Latin who still use kJ/mol.

Scientists recently did electron microscope captures of travel shock happening. See the evidence for yourself. It conclusively proves it’s real.
[resizeableimage=430,320]http://dujye7n3e5wjl.cloudfront.net/photographs/640-tall/time-100-influential-photos-loch-ness-monster-21.jpg[/resizeableimage]

Well, what Jeff wrote is nonsense, with no basis in science. It’s his “belief system” for how wine responds to external stimulus. But not once in dozens of undergraduate and graduate chemistry courses was I taught that motion or vibration could impact chemical reactions (notwithstanding stirring to keep things homogeneous). Are there some esoteric reactions that could be impacted? Probably. There are exceptions to almost every rule. But if they exist, they are surely uncommon, and probably require some other set of ultra-rare conditions.

As for “redox potential” with different closures: first, I would advise never using that term. It has been misappropriated by the wine crowd to somehow describe having too much or too little SO2, relative to the amount of O2 let in by the closure, but the term has a specific and very different meaning.

Then call it “sediment shock”, which I’m fine with. But plenty of people believe that young wines with little or no sediment (including white wines) suffer from travel shock, and that’s what I’m pointing at.

Fantastic link, thanks!

Thanks, Alan