The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

matt

great slide show-it runs thru dec 2020 so we were intending on going back next yr-but u may have changed our minds. Plus I have some wine being held by a friend in St Remy.

Last yrs show featured Stairway to Heaven as the final song-by orchestra.

The show at Atelier was pretty awesome. Even the other presentations that bookended the Van Gogh show were cool.

Now if only people would put their phones away and watch the show instead of filming/taking photos, they might actually have a good experience. The walls are something like 40ft high. How are you going to match that scale on your tiny phone screen, or get the same experience by looking at your phone instead of what is being projected?

And if heading to St. Remy the Roman remains at Glanum are quite close. It is an easy site to visit, not demanding of a huge amount of time. The view to the north after the hike up alone is worth it. In good cool weather the Alps loom magnificently.

I got a kick out of the bicyclists coming down the switchback slopes, full out. Considering the tourist traffic I judge them braver than me!

They really do a fantastic job of digital editing. And the artistic sensibility seems of a high nature, to me. Well chosen juxtapositions, well thought out placement of individual paintings within le carrière.

I am half tempted to agree with you, and this is coming from a fairly serious amateur. Even the best phones in low light will have difficulty in capturing quality images. And those which are decent are good for small scale internet replication and little else (good luck editing them). Certainly the ubiquity of portables/handis/cells can be annoying and in some situations you wonder just what people think they can achieve. I never take photos of plates in restaurants, for example. Nor take shots in museums. Pretty much every museum has everything reproduced in hi-res online anyway.

Counterpoint: at les Carrières you can watch one entire show and photograph the next. That’s what I did. And I try my damnedest to not let what others are doing bother my enjoyment.

And if heading to St. Remy the Roman remains at Glanum are quite close. It is an easy site to visit, not demanding of a huge amount of time. The view to the north after the hike up alone is worth it. In good cool weather the Alps loom magnificently.

We love the hike that starts just past the Asylum where Van Gogh spent 1 yr and goes along the E side of the Glanum ruins. At the top go along the fire road to the E and there is a rock formation a bit off the road to the N with 2 big openings-great photo op looking N over St Remy towards Avignon. There is also a summit facing S where one can see the Med on a clear day. The tour of the Asylum is also worthwhile and the quarries the Romans used for Glanum are also along the track-used to be able to wonder around inside.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show and what other people were doing didn’t affect me. I felt more sad for them that they were missing out on fully experiencing such a fantastic presentation.

The Atelier show is worth the hour if one is in Paris. Van Gogh was as good as Klimt last year. Very fun.

I just wish there was a little more seating, but I’ve seen both and they are well were a visit.

Went to Carrieres de Lumieres last week. Great show. Just fabulous.

Jerry, I agree about the seating. Ended up sitting on the steps to the mezzanine, which was ok but far from ideal.

A similar version of the Van Gogh show is coming to SF and LA.