The NY Strip Steak is...

Strip is best cut for sous vide.

I honestly think that any cut can be awesome or awful depending on beef quality and preparation. Having said that I usually make strips or ribeyes if we’re just having straight steak. Sometimes the ribeyes are better, sometimes the strips are better. I also make a lot of flanks, usually for wraps. I love the flavor of those.

denver cut is the most underrated

… probably my favorite cut. I generally prefer Flannery strip to ribeye. Some strip is boring and in general ribeye may be more consistent. But when the beef is high end and it’s cut well, I often prefer the flavor and texture of a strip to that of a ribeye, which can be fattier than I prefer.

One of my faves… esp the Cal Reserve Flannery NY Strips I stocked up on recently. that and the lowly hanger are my top two (Flannery changed my appreciation for the cut). Like me a Porterhouse too. Or a filet when I want a snack. The Jorge is a ribeye and I do like that steak but the extra fat is a bit much. I guess I just like steaks

I just find strips dry out and aren’t too interesting. I made a 24 oz flannery the other day which turned out well, I hit it at high heat for 10-12 min, sliced super thin, then quickly seared the slices which were way below rare. Was pretty delicious. This pic is before the sear.
995FEFBF-C809-4E88-B910-2B095C97FDEA.jpeg

Due to this board Flannery is the only NY Strip I will buy and I feel like a good Tri-tip is much more flavorful and tender. Strips always dry out. The only thing I find them good for is steak sandwiches or salads. Of course YMMV.

Not overrated but not my first choice. My ranking:
-Rib Eye
-Rib Steak
-Porterhouse (ideally from a butcher who knows to cut the filet side a little thicker). Don’t get fooled by many stores selling “Porterhouse’s” that are really t-bones.
-Tri-tip (for a group)
-Hanger (for a group)
-Flank
-NY Strip
-KC Strip
-Fillet
Everything else goes downhill from there but I have had awesome meals from other cuts-it just depends on the preparation.

Has anyone else noticed the quality of beef cuts has gone down the last few months? Seem to be cut sloppier, inconsistent and lower grade than price point would suggest.

This is insane. The New York cut is essential. If you think it’s over-rated, you are cooking it wrong. Grill it over a hot fire. Thick cut, well seasoned. Slice it, relatively thin, at a slight angle.

+1

But skirt steak is the best cut. neener

so quick to cook, so much flavor

Real versatile too. But all skirt steak is not created equal. I have found that the ones with a color more towards purple than red have so much more flavor and tenderness.

It’s a perfectly good steak, just boring; I prefer a bit more flavor.

+1

I like porterhouse too but it’s very expensive relative to other cuts.

If I have to slice it thin it I might as well put it between two slices of bread and make a steak sandwich which is my point. If I want to slice my meat thin I’ll cook a Tri-tip and not pay for and fight with a chewy tendon that gets tossed.

Chewy tendon? In a NY Strip? There is fat on one side but no tendon. I reverse sear these all the time and they never get dry.

I cooked two Flannery Ca Reserve NY Strips last night. Before cooking I trimmed off a tendon on the fat cap side of each steak that rivals the one found between unseparated hangers.

I cooked a 20oz Cal Res NY Strip two Sundays ago… seared and rendered the fat side. No tendon, nothing at all similar to a hanger.

I haven’t noticed a tendon for NYS; I slice all steaks before serving anyways, my main issues are more with lack of flavor.