The NY Strip Steak is...

I became a Chuck Eye steak fan many years ago when it was $2.49/lb, now it has crept up to $8.00/lb but I still prefer it when using a very high heat grill. This provides the fat content of a Ribeye (same muscle) and the beefy chewy texture of a strip.They tend to be smaller and cut thicker. A side only produces 2 -3 true steaks so they can be tough to source, but are always on sale when the Chuck pot roasts are.

I enjoy a good skirt steak too. But $30/lb is off the charts. The expensive food store by me has it for $18/lb and Whole Foods has it for $13/lb.

My favorite cut if I had to eat only one cut.

Used to be rib eyes, but too inconsistent and now too fatty in general for my tastes.

I do love rib caps and glad that Costco has decided to restock them, but again, can’t eat that all the time.

Reverse sear the Prime NYs at Costco regularly, and, for me, perfect combo of texture, flavor, and juiciness.

My favorite are probably the more butcher cut steaks in american wagyu. I made a couple zabutons the other night that were pheonomenal. I like A5 but really enjoy the beefiness with marbling of the american wagyu hybrids.

Chopped Garlic
1/2 part orange juice
2 parts Peter Luger steak sauce
2 parts Soy Vay Island Teriyaki

Give it 12 hours min .
97DB6BEE-F330-44EF-AB7B-2EC280827944.jpeg

I can get domestic wagyu skirt here for $11 a pound. $30 is unbelievably expensive.

I pay about $13-14/lb for regular (non-wagyu) skirt steak around here.

For me, it’s just okay, and that’s primarily due to the membrane or tendon or whatever running along the meat/fat border as mentioned previously. You can see it getting fairly thick at certain points in this photo (not mine).

On the other hot topics: Prime sirloin caps* are my favorite in terms of bang for the buck, and my most-purchased cut. I like ribeyes quite a bit but avoid ones with large pockets of fat. I haven’t ever found filets to be worth the cost. Hanger, skirt, rib caps*, and some of the other cuts mentioned are ones I need more experience with. Reverse sear rules.

*edited

I agree.

I think chuck eye is the most underrated.

::likebutton::

I was never really a NY fan, but a few months ago I found a local butcher shop that sometimes carries American Wagyu NY’s. Decided to try them one day and now I buy 4-6 every time they have them in stock. Sous vide at 123 for an hour-quick sear at 600-700-just salt and pepper. The marbling melts away into the steak-it literally tastes like I put a pat of butter on the steak. This is my go to weekend steak now-can’t get enough of them.

Not as good as a ribeye … IMO. However, I’ve had a several Flannery dry-aged NY strips, and I enjoyed them more than expected. I would lean toward other cuts at a restaurant, though, unless that’s their specialty.

I’m firmly a striploin fan. If trying to cook strip like ribeye or tenderloin, it won’t work. It’s a different animal–a middling.

Maybe think pork? Chop (strip) vs tenderloin (fillet) vs fatty pork (fattier steaks)

In pork we can more easily see the divide and discern proper preparations/expectations

IMO nicely marbled strip certainly holds down the “middle”… fuller flavor than leaner cuts and more tender than fattier cuts with less refuse

In American wagyu the butcher cuts like flatiron, bavette, and Denver are fantastic.

Yep. Even butchers that don’t sell it as an individual cut will usually be happy to let you buy a large chuck roast and cut out the eye for you. Use the eye for steak, make pot roast from the rest.

Strip probably is the most overrated.
I understand a lot of the fillet/ filet mignon comments re being overrated, but man a nice hunk of fillet made as steak au poivre with a sauce is a magical thing once in a while.
Favs are tougher cuts typically sliced before serving. Hanger, flank or flat-iron (steak frites). You end up eating a bit less this way too, which is good for the person and the planet.

I hear ya. But anybody who eats it tells me it’s the best skirt steak they have ever eaten, including me.

My Marinade is:

Chopped Garlic
1/2 part orange juice
2 parts Peter Luger steak sauce
2 parts Soy Vay Island Teriyaki

Give it 12 hours min .

I usually just use a bit of fish sauce for a marinade, and only for an hour or so. Sometimes I don’t bother, especially if I’ve had a chance to salt it and leave it in the fridge for a day or two.

It’s the Tuite cut, only the best for a regular like you. neener

You know…