The Official Screaming Eagle Waitlist Thread

Screagle seems to be heating up again on Winebid, as all lots offered are getting multiple bids and are as high as I’ve ever seen them. 97 is over 4k(with comm), 07 3k, 10 pushing that way, and everything else 2k+. “Napaj6” always seems to want them all? What’s fueling this?

I think you got it right. Napa and Bordeaux don’t generally compare well, IMO. ‘89 Haut-Brion is a reference point wine for me, perhaps one of the greatest wines I have ever drunk. Never had a bad bottle. I tend to view Napa cabs versus Bordeaux similarly to how I view other varietal comparisons, such as Syrah versus Pinot Noir. Depends what I am in the mood for, or perhaps what what we are pairing it with. I love great Bordeaux, and I love great Napa cabs. I just wish they hadn’t evolved into a luxury good, but that ship has sailed.

Jim, we ought to start a thread on that: what is “the” reference point Bordeaux?

It could be that '89 Haut Brion. I have enjoyed a few others more, but that 89 is a perfect reference point for Bordeaux.

I’ve been a benefactor of Mr Clary’s generosity. It’s a lovely wine. Though it cannot touch an evening with wonderful people. In Jim’s case, I was lucky to have both.

Chase memories and friends. Not bottles.

Magnum of 1990 Leoville Poyferre.

I have had Screagle three times. There is no way it is worth the expense. Maybe once, just to try it, but after that, heck no.

Buy Bevan and save a ton of money.

1 Like

What a lovely post. Thank you.

Hope you are well. Miss those fun dinners in Chicago. And as I recall, you were pretty damn generous yourself!

1 Like

That would be a fun thread. For me, I would add ‘89 La Mission Haut-Brion and ‘90 Cheval Blanc to my list. ‘70 Petrus might make an appearance as well.

1 Like

I would add 1953 Margaux and 1961 Latour. I would second 1970 Petrus and the 71 was great too.

I was on the Screagle list since the 1994. Usually drank 1 or 2 and sold the others. Great wine and easily worth it in that scenario. Eventually dropped off the list because there were easier ways to get a similar experience without the up front cash and the hassle of flipping. Bevan, Shafer Hillside, etc.

Reference point Bordeaux? I Have had the 89 Haut Brion a few times and will not argue with anyone claiming this is as good as Bordeaux gets. I’m happy to still have a few in the cellar. I would also add to the list, in no particular order:
1990 Margaux
1970 Petrus
1989 Petrus
1990 Petrus
1982 Latour
1959 Lafite - this was easily the best Bordeaux I’ve ever had. But a good bottle with reliable provenance is unobtainable at this point, so hard to use it as a reference.

10/28/2010 and still waiting here…

So does anyone actually know?
I haven’t seen an actual answer

I tried to sign up circa 2001/2 and they kindly replied that the waitlist was closed. Wouldn’t even let me on the freaking waitlist at that time.

Check Tom Gutting post on Page 1.

It’s longer than that now? Isn’t it 12 yrs or so now?

I confirmed with them that I signed up June 2009. And still on waitlist.

1 Like

appropos of nothing, one of the best tasting notes I ever saw on Cellartracker was for a 1995 Screaming Eagle:

7/13/2013 - THE GILDED SAGE WROTE:
Purchased in some quantity (and, I am told, at considerable expense) by great-uncle Alfred, presumably either under the influence of late-stage senility, or as a final white elephant with which to burden his family. He was, it turns out, a vulgarian to the last.

I have tasted this wine now on a number of occasions, when morbid curiosity overtakes better judgement, and have found it in each instance to be an utterly common and tawdry affair, with a nose like tinned prunes (one can only imagine), and a texture on the palate like some horrid and ineffectual remedy that a witch-doctor might force upon a consumptive. In short, this is a wine for the brutish and the senile, purchased by a man who was both. It is only to be hoped that death came for him before he managed to degrade himself and his name by serving this to the guests at his table.

That, at least, would be a mercy.

This person’s notes may not be entirely serious.

1 Like

Do they give anyone a sense of where they are on the list? Several years ago when Patrick was still there he intimated that I was “at the upper percentile of those next in line for advancement.” I know he’s been gone for a few years and no idea where I stand anymore

i think my first offer was '98 and cost under $300? i believe i got on the waiting list in 1993 or '94?..i recall there was no use of internet and had to fax everything in.

3 Likes

It is a little unclear if I am on the wait list, but they did point me toward their Jonata project in the Santa Ynez Valley. It has been a great find and I have really enjoyed everything that I have tried. Maybe in another decade …

I only waited a year! blush I signed up in 2005, and after Jean sold the winery in 2006, I wanted to make sure I was still on the list so I emailed SE…low and behold Charles Banks responded to me…we exchanged a couple emails, and he mentioned to me that he wanted his wines to get into the hands of people who will drink and enjoy them with friends/fams. I was SHOCKED when I saw the 2003 release envelope in the mail a few weeks later! [swoon.gif] Been a happy customer…and yes, I drink and share with friends/fams…ever since!

4 Likes

Signed up 12/11/2006. Still waiting. Below is a note from them in 2006:

"Thank you for your interest in our wines. Your name is now placed on our waiting list.

“If you have any questions for us, please contact us at
winery@screamingeagle.com.”

1 Like