The piece of cookware that changed your life

Asked my dad about the wok. He thinks it’s 45,000 BTU, but his memory’s a bit fuzzy.
9A981ED6-CB54-44EC-AEBF-5B92A89D3709.jpeg

I don’t know for sure what it’s called, but a Wok with a single long straight handle. I first saw it referred to as a Peking Pan. I can use it anywhere. I have one in my tailgate box and I use it on a Weber kettle at tailgates and I can make almost anything in it, from Fettuccine Alfredo to deep fried Twinkies. I just got a new one at home that is heavy duty aluminum with no stick interior, which means that the old one from the house goes to the tailgate box and the one in the tailgate box goes to that great culinary graveyard in the sky.

I’m a big fan of the aluminum wok too. I always feel a bit guilty using it, like I’m cheating or the Wok gods are going to come down and smite me for not using steel but as long as you have 30K+ BTUs, the aluminum works well. Lower BTUs and it loses heat too fast. Wipes clean in seconds.

Nobody uses a cast iron wok?

Betty did they have to install a commercial hood of some kind? I wonder if there Are there problems with code…you have my wheels spinning.

Anything cast iron.

They have a custom stainless steel hood that covers the wok as well as the adjacent gas cooktop. I don’t know if it’s commercial grade though.

I’m posting just to boost my post numbers. I have trouble with TV dinners and usually I’m not welcome in the kitchen. Seems mean to me, I built the kitchen for her, just the way she wanted it. But then again, that slow cooker she bought added a large number of menu items.

What is the Microwave [basic-smile.gif]

Le Creuset Dutch Oven

Surprised nobody has said Vitamix. I think it is such a multi-use weapon in the kitchen that nothing else can imitate.

to each his own, I guess. I have an immersion blender and wouldn’t trade it for a free vitamix. Everything from a vitamix tastes like yoga mat to me.

Thermador 48 inch Professional Grill;4-15,000 btu gas burners,griddle,grill with electric convection oven & Proofing ovens.
Cook/Barbeque inside, out of Miami Heat in Summer.

Dude it rendered my chinois nearly obsolete, and I really did try and block Suzy from buying. I totally get what you are saying but it comes down to wielding power responsibly. You have to be very focused on the result you want from the vitamix before you start. If you are not tasting and retasting like a sauce or a soup, you end up with yoga mat. That I will give you. It seriously streamlines my hot sauce production and it is worth it just for that, but when I can make fantastic soup from at best B-minus product with great texture, I am a believer. My immersion blender just cannot do those things. It is a niche, not a cure all.

Weber Kettle

Also,
The best cookware pots I know of by Chaudier of Prince Edward Island.Lifetime guarantee. Used in the Queen of England’s ship/airplane & by Air Force One (in the past).
Unfortunately no longer made however a lesser line is made by Paderno.

Finex Cast Iron is a wonder!

cuisipro 4 cup fat separator

As much as I braised before, even more so now that it is so easy to strain and sep the braising liquid.

And then there are the assortment of Japanese knives and the sharpening stones.

In college I bought a nice set of knives and a big wooden cutting board, total game changer.

I grew up with webbers, and its part of my last name so family tradition and all, cant even remember my first memory of those. Glad to see them listed so many times here.

First nice thing me and the now wife bought together for the kitchen was a enamel coated dutch oven. That and her skills in the kitchen with a much wider rage of cuisine than I grew up with was the last step towards becoming a foodie.