The Schafer-Frohlich sponti, does it ever go away?

I’ve only had a small handful of aged S-F GGs (even those have been only moderately aged), but those I’ve had have been spellbinding. These age gorgeously. I’m a buyer.

I miss those HGS-made Catoir Halbtrockens. The 1998 Burgergarten Spatlese Halbtrocken was a gateway to off-dry Riesling for me.

Yep we can make that happen!

Thanks, that’s an interesting article with interesting comments below. Both Lars and Ulli Stein seem to be saying the sulfury smell (eggs or however it seems to you) is sulfur related reduction, and that reductive funk and “sponti” funk can kind of amplify each other. Is that your understanding?

To me it is the combination of spontaneous fermentation and air tight vessels. Although I could be oversimplifying this. But it does help explain why the smell goes away with air.

That was the one I brought—still have a ‘11 for the next Rieslingstudy!

1 Like

I must reread that article. Most of the wines I drink are fermented spontaneously with native yeasts but the Sponti aroma are quite limited to Germany, but a BdB Pinot we stock also has it, so it’s not just Riesling.

Hi Russell - I do seem to recall that Sponti is unique or more common to Riesling.

Hopefully Lars will chime who obviously knows a lot about this topic.

1 Like

Riesling Royalty! [cheers.gif] Any luck on a few other bullet points from your resumé, Sir David? Who doesn’t love a tidbit or two from one of our resident boffins?

champagne.gif

Don‘t worry, it will go away. I had some 2007 Felseneck GG and NO flavors of spontaneous fermentation.