The search for a “wow” Rosé

I thought for sure you were going to recommend Queen of Hearts.

im not much of a fan of pale rose like Provence, I’d rather just have a white in most cases when drinking those… so I lean more heavily on rose like the Enfield Foot Tread Rose. Its delicious, the color is beautiful, and it makes a good case for why I would drink this wine instead of just reaching for a white instead.

Tempier
Montenidoli Canaiuolo Toscana
Pibarnon
Vaccelli

I have found unexpected bliss in

Girolamo Russo Etna Rosato

and

Forlorn Hope Touriga Nacional Ukiyo Dewitt Vineyard

+1 maybe not one of the best wines I had last year but certainly one of the “wow” wines I had last year.

Add Chateau Simone which has only been mentioned once so far and needs to be mentioned again.

François Cotat or Tempier with a lot of age on them. Like a decade. Or more. Stunningly good. A friend opened one for me with ~15 years of age 15 years or so ago. I was frankly skeptical. Then I was entranced.

This, plus Simone Palette Rosé and Boulay Sancerre Rosé.

I like, but do not love, rose. Don’t really drink it much. Now that said, I love love rose champagne. Prefer it over regular champagne any day.

I also have had some bliss with the Girolamo Russo Erna Rosato. Terre Nere also makes a nice Etna Rosato.

Bibi Graetz also has a Casamatta Rosato that is good for the price.

Musar Rose is wow

valentini without a doubt. its 40-50 euro in italy but it might be difficult to find in that range stateside.

We served this blind in a three wine flight with Sine Qua Non Rose and Tercero Rose of Mourvedre to about 10 experienced amateur tasters. I know it’s hard to believe, but the Tercero was the clear winner. About one third preferred the Tercero, and everyone who preferred one of the other two rated the Tercero second. No one rated the Tercero last. I was very disappointed with the Biondi Santi. IU understand that they were disappointed with it also and ceased production.

The Tercero has a number of important advantages. It is not expensive, there is no waiting list, it is still in production and my wife says it is the only Rose she likes. This and the fact that the winery is a Berserker business.

Clos Cibonne
Clos Canarelli
Meyer Naekel Spatburgunder Rose
Tempier
Chateau Simone

I wouldn’t have a basis to find it “hard to believe” that Tercero was “the clear winner”, as I’ve never heard of, nor ever tried, Tercero. More “experienced amateur tasters” preferred the Tercero blind? Good for them. To each his own.

As to why the family is discontinuing the Biondi Santi Rosato; during a dinner with Tancredi Biondi Santi this past 27th November, I asked him why they were doing so (given it was his late grandfather’s preferred daily drink). Tancredi told me it was because of the rising demand for their Rosso di Montalcino, the fruit used of which is the same as that of the rosato. Apparently, the rosato doesn’t really sell very well, and there is rising demand for their rosso around Asia.

Pity, as I like their rosato; but see no reason to drink their rosso (I buy already aged Annata and Riserva). I then asked whether or not he thinks they’d ever revive production of their rosato sometime in the future. He shrugged and said “Maybe. You never know.”

Of course, I understand it’s just business. I bought more of their rosato the next day.

Lopez de Heredia

My other +1!

This - and with some age ideally!

Sometimes you must let the wine come to you, seek and you shall not find.

It is not easy to find and goes fast when it comes to market, but the one rose that I really and truly love is Il Poggione Brancato Rosato.

I think that statement has the “why” tucked into it. I love the BS Rosso because I can’t buy the Annata every week and can’t afford the Riserva ever, but love their wine. Reading your post, I was actually really happy to hear that it might be a little easier to hunt down their Rosso in the future with them switching gears! haha