The Smoker Thread - recipes, techniques, ideas

Sure does…I’ll give that a whirl next time and report back!

have a Bradley and love it. Pulled pork, ribs, and brisket have all come out excellent.

Ok, bluefish is smoked and consumed (note to self - make more next time).

I got too lazy to do the whole brine and wait thing and went with the dry curing instead. I don’t know that this would work as well with salmon, but it was good on the blue fish.

I soaked the fish - skin on - in dark rum for 15 minutes, washed it off and dried the fish. Then covered it with brown sugar, salt and a touch of pepper for 4 hrs in the fridge. Washed that off and smoked away. 220 degrees for 2 hrs. IT was so easy and came out perfectly. I made mine a little too sweet, so might back off on the sugar next time, or use a different sweetner. But over all, easy and great.

And you were right…cleanup with the Bradley is no problem at all, racks and drip pan washed easily with some soap and water

[cheers.gif]

Missed this thread before. I have a Traeger Executive. Got a screaming deal on closeout (floor model) at Great Indoors a few years back. Obviously, the biggest difference to the Bradley is that the Traeger can be used as a grill (albeit indirect only) and oven as well as a traditional smoker since the temp control goes up to 450 degrees. We can pre-heat a pizza stone and make wood-fired pizzas in it, which is pretty great. It’s not as hot as a real pizza oven, but tastes a lot better than in the gas oven.

I love it, but don’t use it as much as I used to now that 50% of our household has stopped eating meat. My son and I have planned out a few parties for the summer to make sure we get our 'que on…

I changed the title of this thread.
Let’s use this as the “all things smoker related thread”
Post recipes, questions, techniques, pics, etc.

I’m off to the store to grab a turkey to smoke today! First time - let’s see how it goes.

I’m thinking of using cherry or alder for this - thoughts on that???

Over the years I’ve come around to the conclusion that, except from some very strong woods like mesquite, the character of the smoke flavor that you can actually taste in the finished food has less to do with the type of wood than it does with the amount of time the meat is exposed to the smoke before the proteins begin to denature and the meat can’t absorb much more smoke. I’ve done some pretty comprehensive taste tests on some sensitive palates that were unable to distinguish any difference.

Furthermore, the composition of the smoke that comes in contact with the surface of the meat has a lot to do with the combustion temperature. Smoldering, wet chips or chunks produce a totally different smoke than flaming pieces of wood. I much prefer a small, clean hot fire than a larger smoldering one.

For my taste, turkey does better with a light smoke, so I smoke it at a higher temp (~300F-325F).

Bill, do you smoke it the whole time, or some smoke at that temp and them finish it off smoke free?

I usually keep it in the smoker the whole time to take advantage of the residual heat from the coals. Contrary to most others, I NEVER use foil in case the bird needs to contact the Mothership.

[quote=“zachary l a n g” I might have to get the cold smoke attachment and do some cold smoked salmon too![/quote]

I’m cold-smoking some salmon at this moment.

FWIW, I’ve had the Smokin’ Tex for 6+ years…SmokinTex Electric Smokers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I decided to avoid the pellet machines as it makes you beholden to them…and, arguably limits the sources and kinds of wood. Plus they aren’t solid woods and burn faster, I think.

I got the cold-smoking plate…and have been doing this for years…sure beats buying “nova” in the delis at 3x the price…and allows me to host people and serve it to them.

And, I do disagree with Bill on the woods…the nuances among hickory, pecan, oak, apple, cherry and maple make some better for some jobs than others and worth seeking out to see for yourself.

I get that a lot! Perhaps because I am smoking with a clean, hot fire (thin blue smoke), many of the varietal aromatics are burned-off before they can escape. What kind of heat source are you using?

The Smokin Tex, in the post above yours, has a heating element and a box . The wood goes in the box and is smoldering for a long time. The temperature is on a thermostat, up to 250 and is roasting at the same time it’s smoking…

The smell of the different woods is quite pleasantly different.

Here’s my rig. I can appreciate the stainless steel box smokers, but my Char-Griller is a work horse. Once you get the vents set properly in the side fire box, it will hold the main chamber at 200-225 for hours.
This thread needs more food Pr0n!

Just took deliver of a Bradley 4 rack digital smoker this week. Really looking forward to giving it a go!

Never done any smoking before, any thoughts on what type of critter I should christen it with?

Pork butts are pretty forgiving if you don’t have much experience smoking. You have to work pretty hard to screw it up.

the first thing I did with mine was bluefish - cure it, smoke it, done! Couldn’t have been easier

I just finished two boneless pork butts followed by a 13 pound brisket in my Big Green Egg. I will freeze them and then reheat slowly for 8 hours in a conventional oven to 200 degrees double wrapped in foil to render out the rest of the fat. If you want to taste the results, see BF 2.5 Grillin in the Burbs. The BGE easily holds the temp over night at whatever I want. up to about 225.

I love my BGE too!

One of my neighbors is trying to decide between a Traeger or a BGE. I had never heard of the Traeger, but I’m going to looking into this pellet/electric thing to see what I think. For some reason electric/pellet just doesn’t sound right to me :slight_smile:.

Well, pshaw. I am having trouble posting the image. I’ve never posted just an image before.

Anyway, here is my recipe for Viognier-Saffron Smoked Duck.

It is truly epic with syrah or tempranillo.

[cheers.gif]

Mary, that skin looks GREAT!!!