The Ultimate Backfill Thread

You were probably putting that question to David but my answer is I don’t know as I don’t drink that drek! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Prum made great 2005s - saw elsewhere that you bought their 2001s.

If you are buying higher end pradikats (Auslese and above), look for 2010s. Taste almost like Eiswein. My favorites have been Schloss Lieser, Reinhold Haart and Zilliken.

I visited all 3 estates in April 2017. Reinhold Haart was probably my favorite of the three for their auslesen (though a 1988 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Eiswein blew my mind). I have one bottle of 2010 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Auslese Goldkapsel, may need to rectify this.

The 1999s I have had recently are fabulous. They are just beginning to get to a great place.

That has been my experience as well…drinking well and seemingly can improve and maintain their vibrancy for a long time. When I see them at a fair price, I do not hesitate.

I’ve been a hold out on opening ‘99 red Burgs but expect that to end soon.

You can get decent pricing now on the wines people don’t know much about while well-known wines in ‘99 are not cheap (or affordable for me).

One I’m looking forward to that was a backfill last year for $35 hammer at WineBid is Francois Jobard Blagny La Piece Sous Le Bois, now extinct. They sometimes pop up for a steal at auction. The 2005 was only $30. Not fancy but I like.

Extinct? As in, they stopped making them?

Love these wines, all vintages that I’ve had. 2005 was the last I drank and @ $30+vig is darn good price.

They decided to rip up the Pinot vines and plant Chardonnay, which I believe is labeled as Meursault Blagny. I don’t recall the last vintage of the Blagny Rouge.

I have a couple of each vintage so happy to open the ‘99 with you while I let the ‘05 age.

Over the past few years, I purchased all available bottles in the US of 2001 and 2004 Charvin CdP. 30 and 25 bottles, respectively.

So now I know why as I was backfilling Charvin, the oldest I could obtain at a reasonable price was the 2006… [wink.gif]

+1

A quick look at winesearcher shows 05s and 00s to be had. You can also get the 15 in numbers of places for $45, which is not a price you will see again, I think.

Got some '15 on the last day of the Flick progressive sale (in addition to what I’d previously bought at regular price). Maybe $36 or something like that - I was very pleased. Picked up enough of the vintages I did get that I’m good even without the older stuff. I have to keep reminding myself that I’m out of space…

“Fall off” or stay-on the front page?? [scratch.gif]

Have not really seen any 1999s in a while.

The best 2003s I have had have come from the Saar in general and Zilliken in specific. Higher acidity.

Other than bubbles I am in complete backfill mode. Yes there are a few lists I still subscribe to but otherwise pure euro. Scored some ‘82 Dunn…epiphany wine. Mostly pre-2011 burgs now. Sake is not a backfill but love them. Once you have more wine then you can drink in your lifetime, backfilling is a nice way to round things out for your remaining drinking years.

I too am backfilling (mostly red) burgs. Prices are mostly stupid but there are occasional deals to be had. 1997-2009 (Except 2003/2004) is where I’m looking. I’d love to buy 1989/90/91/93/96 and older but prices have put these mostly out of reach. Plus 1985/89/90/95/96 Bordeaux, Barolo/Barbaresco, and other oddments as they arise. In other words, the same stuff everyone else is looking for. [cheers.gif]

My experience has been that 89/91/93/95/96 burgs have been pretty affordable to backfill, if you’re not looking for name villages or famous producers. But the wines aren’t easy to find.