There is too much good German Riesling available

NJ or DE?

Try Zilliken or Maximin Grunhaus. Much easier on the wallet.

When I purchase Burgundy, I am looking for newer producers (esp. up and coming ones) to get wines at somewhat reasonable prices. When it comes to German wines, other than producers like Egon Muller and Keller, there isn’t the price difference between my favorite producers and the up and coming good value producers. So, the producers I have the most German wines from are Prum, Zilliken, von Schubert, Selbach, Schloss Lieser and Reinhold Haart. These six producers make up about 75% of my German wines.

NJ, but it was at least 15 years ago, I’d say.

I have so much old Riesling that I am reluctant to buy anything more than basic ones right now. Hopefully, I can drink them all up before my drinking window closes. Jay, Egon Miller hasn’t gone up anywhere near as fast as Napa Cabs or any other cult wines.

Interesting way to pick a spouse. Do an inventory of their wine cellar first. champagne.gif [winner.gif]

That’s a good one . . . and a pointed turn of the phrase. Drink up! [cheers.gif]

We’ve only done the Kabinett, Spatlese and even sweeter Auslese. I thought the Kabinett was considered “dry”. Any recs?

No, kabinett is not generally dry unless it’s labeled as kabinett trocken. Kabinett seems to be getting sweeter and sweeter at a lot producers, in fact. You might want to see what your wife thinks of the dry wines, as a lot of people can’t get past the sweetness, despite the balance. Look for anything with trocken on the label, or Großes Gewächs (GG) which are basically the dry grand crus, though those will not be bone dry and are often more expensive. There are dozens of great producers of dry wine. Our favorites are Keller, Schafer-Frohlich and Emrich-Schonleber (they all make sweeter wines as well) but there are so many more. Schloss Lieser, Martin Mullen, Battenfeld Spanier spring to mind, just to name a very, very few. Even producers known for their sweets will often make dry as well, though I don’t think they always excel at it.

If you’d ever had his cooking, you would know his cellar wasn’t first on his list of attractions. :wink:

1 Like

I love the wines, and while they are still cheap to other regions I still can’t over the uptick in some prices over the past 20yrs…I’m also not sure they could be priced that much higher because with fee exceptions the wines are not too difficult to source.

But no, you can’t buy too much.

I’ve recently been hit incredibly hard by the Riesling bug and can’t seem to get enough of it (seriously, I need another job to afford all of this wine). I think Riesling may be my favorite varietal and as there is so much great diversity within the varietal, I can see it taking up a very large portion of my collection. If you’re in the Los Angeles area and need to unload any of your extra Riesling, let me know!

Markus Molitor’s White Kapsel Rieslings are all dry, regardless of the Pradikat classification (e.g., Kabinett, Spatlese). I think their Kabinett and Spatlese white kapsel’s are a great way to dip your toes into dry Riesling as they are very reasonably priced and very good.

David,

I love German Riesling. It accounts for 12% of my cellar and I’m trying to keep it to less than 600 bottles. It means I have to be selective in what I’m buying and I tend to drink less often than others here (maybe 1-2 times/week). I’ve never regretted buying as much as I do…usually the problem for me is that to keep things balanced and in check the number goes down each year as I try to age more of them.

In fact…the one regret I have right now is not buying more Keller GG’s while they were easier to find & buy.

Great education…thanks Sarah! I’ve had and enjoy Shafer-Frohlich…actually have two bottles of the Vulkangestein trocken so we’ll try one of those next!

Thanks Jordan! I have a bottle of Markus Molitor’s white capsule. It’s a Spatlese but we’ll give that a whirl soon too.

[worship.gif]

Damn skippy. That’s great stuff!

Trent, my interest in Riesling has also taken place during the same time frame as you, although I have not focused on the German Rieslings in depth. Reading your comment about your wife sounded like something I would also say. FWIW, here is a TN of a Trocken that we tasted not too long ago. Good luck and good drinking. [cheers.gif] -Jim

Mark, well said, this is a window into the “bizarro” world of wine quality, price, criticism, et. al. etc., etc. Riesling is, to me, the greatest, cheapest wine in the world. It is dumbfounding sometimes.