This Cab made me forget the others

As long as we’re talking vintages, if you can get your hands on the 2011 Kronos, do it! The rainy/cool year made a wine that tastes like it had at least a decade of age on it already. A brooding palate with dusty lavender and some slight herbal mint. It was gorgeous and fascinating

The 11 Kronos is probably my top Corison wine.

Alicia and Nolan, in '11, what set the Kronos apart from the Napa Valley bottling in your opinion?

That’s a good question and I’m eager to hear what Nolan has to say. I tasted the 2011 Napa Valley in early 2016 and don’t seem to recall it being drastically different from the other vintages – although logically, it must have faced similar growing conditions Kronos did – there’s also a very real possibility that when I got there I had massive palate fatigue since we were tasting 20ish out of 25ish vintages or so). Of the recent vintages, 2013 and 2010 were my standouts, but it was mostly the early 90s, we as a group were really enjoying.

We tasted the '11 Kronos as part of a 16-vintage tasting – served blind in flights of 4 (there was more spitting this year, too – we learned our lesson from the year beflore! ha!). So i wonder if the extra year in the bottle actually made more of the nuances of the vintage stand out.

Now I need to seek out a side by side tasting (generally, when I’ve tasted a few of the other vintages side by side, Kronos tends to be a bit tighter and more structured than Napa Valley … although, personally, I adore the Napa Valley bottles and usually seek those out more than Kronos, when not part of a formal tasting like we did).

Alicia, were you there for the CdB tasting?

I don’t prefer Kronos every year, but the 11 just offers more precision and elegance in Kronos than the Napa. I also love the 11 Napa but it’s a little wilder and more playful where the Kronos is a bit more sophisticated.

No… there’s about a dozen of us (maybe a few less – and some are Berserkers or lurkers) here in DC that are just big fans, so we pulled our resources and spent time seeking out missing vintages and planned two tastings over two years. We did Napa first, and then followed up with Kronos.

Done, I’m in! You hit my note in one short sentence. I dont ask for much, flirtysmile

A bit of a highjack but same for Jean Edwards 74-41’s in 2011. Good luck finding them though as I picked up 3 cases. They may still have some left.

I started out with the 1997 vintage, and it probably needed close to 10 years to show well. I drank the first couple too soon, and the last one sold me on Corison. I started buying the Kronos a couple of years later but stopped with the 2005 vintage. I continue to buy the regular and drank a 2006 last month and it was excellent - wish I had more. Tonight, I am planning to open a 2004 Kronos from my dwindling stock of Kronos.

Bobby- I was with Alicia at our tasting of Corison but missed the Kronos. These are right up your alley but I would go out of your way to find a few mid-90’s bottles, as they can be had for almost the same price as current vintages.

I would never be accused of falling into the AFWE crowd but really enjoy both the Napa and Kronos wines. Haven’t had the privilege of tasting any older vintages but have loved all of the recent vintages I’ve tried. I think the Corison Napa is one of the best QPRs in the valley. There’s a sophistication to all of Corison’s cabernets that keeps you finding something interesting in each sip (and keeps you coming back for more!). I would put the Corison and Rudius at the top of my list of “intellectual” napa cabs that I’ll pull when I really want to sit and swirl and think on all while enjoying delicious cabs.