Thoughts on Dave Phinney wines?

Greg of GKG, is great photographer who is in to wine and has the bankroll to fund a personal wine project.

Look at the labels: sadism, torture, prisons, broken glass. Guessing it appeals to our base instincts.

I loved his wines 10 years ago. We were really getting into wine at that time and it is what we drank. After a couple of years our palates evolved and we realized there was more to wine: structure, terroir, finesse. I still have one bottle of Papillon in the cellar. One day…

I agree and think this is a pretty common story.

I loved his wines 10 years ago. We were really getting into wine at that time and it is what we drank. After a couple of years our palates evolved and we realized there was more to wine: structure, terroir, finesse. I still have one bottle of Papillon in the cellar. One day…

One question I always ask is when you were evolving did you have good stems and did you apply the tasting process correctly?

Define good stems? At the time we used Reidel stems that i still like (relatively thin bowl, comfortable stem), until compared to a Zalto or Grassal. We continued to use them for a while after we stopped liking Dave’s wines.

We had been going to structured tasting at a shop before we started drinking his wines, so we knew the process. There were times we sat there and talked about the wines with descriptors and what we liked/disliked. It was not until we expanded our buying range that we realized that for the most part, we no longer found the wines pleasing.

Similar experience with a bottle of 2010 Mercury Head that my brother in law shared with us about 5+ years ago, forgot which other Napa cabs we drank that night in comparison.

What does this mean? Or what would it mean to apply the tasting process ‘incorrectly’?

John Glas wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:42 am
did you apply the tasting process correctly?
What does this mean? Or what would it mean to apply the tasting process ‘incorrectly’?

When I started drinking wine I was just slamming it and not moving it around. It wasn’t until I properly smelled and tasted wine that I started really getting into it.

Got it. Yeah, it does open up a whole new world! I doubt I would have ever discovered Chinon otherwise!

You’re referring to the Sine Qua Non wines, right?

Ha!

Tried CA once (not bad, but not more than for one time)
This was the only experience with that

In love with wine since childhood
Started learning new languages, especially now I am trying to get a latin, with the help of this service Top Five Latin Translation Service Reviewed by TranslationReport I am getting it easy!
Working as a sailor

I like the wines when I want a big fruity wines. I don’t buy them but a neighbor regularly serves them and I have always enjoyed them very much. I also like Saxum and SQN and big Napa Cabs. Of course, I like Jura wines, stinky Loire Cab Francs, old Rhones, too. I guess I just like wine and it depends on what I am in the mood for. I will say, they are very popular when the neighbors get together and if I opened an older Faively for example, a lot would just get dumped or left in the bottle. And most of my neighbors have nice wine cellars and are not afraid to spend money on a bottle they like.

During the first few years of Prisoner, and it becoming popular, I tried a bottle (cool label more than anything else). That must have been 2007 (or thereabouts). The friends I normally drink wine with, and I - all enjoyed this wine a great deal. There was something special about it that made it stand out among the crowd of over extracted zins coming out of Napa. We then visited his tasting room in St.Helena, and Dave poured for our group. We must have spent a couple hours at least. We all walked out of there with a couple mixed cases of his other wines (each of us). We all enjoyed them, and I still have some in my cellar. I think they are exceptional. I have not however, tried anything Dave has made in several years, or anything at all from the PWC. When he sold his Prisoner line off, I lost interest. I tend to lose interest in any wine once it is sold off to one of the large conglomerates.

This is almost exactly my experience.

Back in my dating days prisoner was the go to on third dates. Will always have soft spot for this wine even if I wouldn’t buy it today.