Thoughts on SommSelect?

I’d still check their pricing.

Yes check their pricing.

I’ve liked about 85% of stuff I’ve bought from them. Sometimes they get a little nerdy but they get some good older stuff with ex cellar provenance. Descriptions can be a bit much at times but I’ve bought some great daily drinkers and some nice more expensive stuff

Customer service is strong as well. They are much more organized than they were 2 years ago

This just popped up today 1989 Weingut Christoffel-Berres Spatlese Riesling for $50

Don’t know much about old riesling but it looks interesting!

I highly recommend. Sure, you may find it cheaper, but they are supplying you with wines you are unfamiliar. We often get a wine that we love only to realize it no longer can be purchased. It would be impossible for me to curate wines of this caliber on my own.

Just go to local tastings in your town and see what you like. You don’t need SommSelect to tell you what you like. I have never heard of Davenport Cellars until my brother in Seattle told me about the 65% sale they did in December. Excellent wine and a new favorite.

They have the '16 Pergole Torte for $155 which seems like a pretty solid price for the vintage.

Guidance is a great thing if you think you need it - and these guys, though a bit hyperbolic, do a very good job with what they offer. Could you do ‘as well’ hitting up a local shop, getting to know the owners or those on the floor, and taking suggestions from them? Perhaps - but they do make it pretty easy . . .

I have tried that approach in Minneapolis a few times and been very disappointed. Other than Sunfish Cellars and Hoyt Hill I don’t take any advice from our local wine shops. It is funny that a few friends that work for bigger wine shops have great palates but the wine shop owners are too stupid to listen to them.

They have the '16 Pergole Torte for $155 which seems like a pretty solid price for the vintage.

Cellar Tracker average of 91 points and an average price of $139.00 seems like an easy pass for most.

Fair points. That’s good pricing for my state and the CT avg is driven down by one mediocre/poor review when there are only 3. Too early to tell!

Any chance anyone has tried the 1992 Bio Weingut Kemetner Grüner Veltliner Ried Karl? Envoyer has it back up.

I have had it. Quite nice and super complex. I just picked up another 2 bottles from envoyer.
My noob tasting note from ct:

Cork was a bit moldy at end and slipped in a bit freely as I was inserting corkscrew.

Color was a beautiful gold.
Probably the most complex nose and flavors I have had on a white wine. On the nose a really bright but subtle fruit and a bit of petrol at the end of the sniff. Flavor is all over the place with a long finish. I’m bad at placing fruit flavors but it evolves on the palate. Cool!

Day 2 wasn’t quite as good.