Thoughts on stems / whole cluster...

I agree…great discussion, all of it.

I suppose it makes sense the pH would rise (due to potassium) early…I was thinking that, possibly, alcohol would be required to extract sufficient stuff from the stems (i.e. late in the process), as it does with seeds. Too bad…I like my version better :slight_smile:. Anyways, thanks for the excellent observations!

I appreciate that you use the words “then to me” in the last sentence. I feel differently. To me, if there is a point, any point, where a wine comes into harmony and produces an experience that is superlative, even if only at that one point, then that wine is worthy of my taking time to learn how to gauge when that experience may be obtained. DRC is a perfect example.

That is worthy of a signature line. I may steal it, assuming nobody else has already! :wink:

For all of our Mourvèdre, we’ve been 100% whole cluster 100% of the time. Anyone not doing that is just wrong… :wink:

California winemaking is very dynamic, and while that is generally positive, there can be a pretty dramatic echo chamber effect in particular hot spots. We’re watching that happen in particular portions of the Sonoma community now vis-a-vis stems.
Our experience:
Grenache needs them.
Syrah and Mourvedre like them.
Pinot is site specific.
Cab Franc can benefit from a little bit.
There are better ways to make Cab Sauv.

I kind of like it when different winemakers are making different decisions on issues like this.

1. It indicates people are thinking and responding to the needs of their grapes and their vineyards and not just making wines based on a formula.
  2. The market will have different types of wines that taste different and we can all choose what we like better. Wine should not be Coca Cola.

Thanks (esp. to the winemakers) for an interesting and honest discussion.

This is a well written thing on the subject by Andrew Jefford !

There were for sure some news here for me anyway; Jefford: Whole bunch fermentation is the new wine fashion - Decanter

Stems are our friends
When we add them a lot
Except when they add flavors
That are friendly or not

I posted this link in the last discussion of whole cluster.
Winemakers interviewed include Jeremy Seysses, Taras Ochota, Pax Mahle and Mathieu Lapierre

Greetings Berserkers

With regard to stem-derived tannin, it’s my opinion that tannin can vary as much as flavor or aroma in wine.

Fruits range from cranberry to dried prune and similarly, tannin can run a spectrum from coarse to crisp, paste or velvet. Fine wines might have elements of all and express beauty by their unique (hopeful) synergy of pieces. To measure tannin by mere ‘quantity’ might be misguided.

For some years we made a Pinot Noir from a low-yielding/ small-berry vineyard that, when fully de-stemmed, gave abundant tannin [depth] yet left a ‘monolithic’ impression on the palate. In 2013 we trialed 30% WC with this fruit and discovered profound textural breadth and pleasant herbal complement. I credit the tannin variety in those stems for the wine’s heightened dimension and interest. It was a great lesson and has influenced our fermentations since.

All things wine are of course subjective, and I wouldn’t project my experience on others’. Grape variety, ripeness, terroir, tannin source (skins, seeds, stems, lees, cooperage?), maceration, etc. all have special influence and are what make our world of wine so fascinating. There’s a Shiraz for every Pete [cheers.gif]

For the win!

Honestly, we’re better off with well made wines in a wide range of expressions. I enjoy a range of wines from producers who make very different choices than I do, and it doesn’t really boil down to whose is better. Crowley, McKinlay, Walter Scott, and Belle Pente, and Evesham Wood are great producers all in a destemmed style(but still with many other differences too) and Cristom, Kelley Fox, and White Rose make fabulous wines with stems.

Slightly off-topic, but anyone else get a headache from stems/whole cluster PN? Wife and I had a bottle of a whole cluster 2016 PN last night and we both woke up with a somewhat weird headache.

It could have also been caused by a number of other factors (dehydration, low-grade cold, the fact that she made me watch the first half of Twilight last night) but does this ring a bell with anyone?

A headache after watching part of Twilight definitely rings a bell. OTOH, I can’t recall any effects from drinking whole cluster wines, and I drink quite a few of them.

Nope, I cannot imagine anything in whole clusters or stems that would lead to that directly. My educated guess is that it was something else. Cheers.

Haven’t read the article yet. From Wine Business Monthly’s digital edition. Article starts on page 40.
[urlhttps://www.winebusiness.com/wbm/?go=getDigitalIssue&issueId=10578][/url]

I read this the other day. Came back to it today. This is extremely helpful.

Like Marcus I observe that stem lignification occurs as a vine is shutting down for the year. I also believe drier/rocky/marginal soils lead to more mature stems.

Most likely culprit is histamines from barrel oak, some people are more susceptible to them than others. My relative had a bad reaction to many reds, I suggested she switched to unoaked whites and she is fine since, could not find any decent reds with no new oak to recommend. Depends on cooper, some barrels are way more “aggressive” than others, some are gentler in this regard. Try less oaky wines and see if that improves things.

Those histamines certainly could be coming from the skins of red grapes as well, my friend. Or even during the fermentation process.

I agree with Paul’s comment. The complicated part is that stem lignification is on the long list of grape cluster factors/aspects, & each ripen at their independent own rate, and as they dang well please. The interesting part is that the order of the factors/aspects ripen first or last or somewhere in between is different each year in some interesting/notable way…like it’s a jigsaw puzzle (clarification: factors/aspects = stem ripeness, seeds, brix, a whole host of skin factors, etc). I agree about rocky/etc soils…I also think night time temps play a surprising role.