Three days in Piedmont in April — couple of questions

Interesting - thanks! Any idea on the vertical storage?
(I have seen assertions that with modern corks it really doesn’t matter)

Which starkly contrasts with Emilia-Romagna, where the tradition is to drink water and wine from the same glass, often with both in the glass at the same time!!! [wow.gif] Quite a shock when one of our impromptu dining companions poured water into my glass of wine. [swoon.gif]

Hi Jim- any updates on how the trip was ? We may be going towards the end of June so would be great to hear.

cheers
Fred

Yes —

The trip was great. Highlights:

First — let me say that we stayed in great 5* hotels throughout the trip — but easily the best and most memorable was the Hotel Castello di Sinio in Sinio, Italy — very central to Barolo area in particular. Denise’s hospitality was nothing short of amazing, perhaps in part due to the fact that there were few other guests that early in the season, but in any case, it was a great memory and definitely a place to return to. If you go — make sure you eat at the restaurant — she runs the kitchen and is great.

We tasted for three days totally stress free — driven around by Amanda from Amandaswineadventures.com (arranged by Denise). We visited the following places, with great lunches everyday and good company from Amanda:

Massolino (not eager to visit again)
Chiara Boschis (neutral)
Oddero (neutral)
Vajra (really nice people, would visit again and some of the best 2018s tasted)
Paulo Scavino (great tasting, enthusiastic host, would visit again)
Elio Grasso (beautiful setting, kind hostess)
Produttori del Barbaresco (we just popped in over lunch and did not get the full treatment)
Poderi Colla (again, beautiful setting — wines were tough to taste)
Cigliutti (a highlight… and the wines were terrific)

Most places were tasting 2018s, which are a mixed bag in my limited experience from the trip. It’s so easy still to find restaurants with solid and inexpensive wine lists.

We always have our own car and I usually arrange my own tastings. While ‘doing it yourself’ is cheaper, this was really stress free and I think I’d go this route in the future. If it’s clear to the hosts that you know and support their wines, you won’t (generally) be charged for the tastings.

Hope you have a spectacular time. Such a beautiful place. Hope you have the good fortune to stay at Castello di Sinio. If you do, please send my regards to Denise.

Jim

1 Like

Thanks Jim ! Any feedback on restaurants and other highlights ?

Very uncharacteristically, we at at the hotel (Castello di Sinio) twice — which was excellent — and at the very local and terrific pizzeria in Sinio the other two nights. Lunches were at small spots I didn’t note, coordinated by Amanda. I do remember eating at the restaurant at Brezza one afternoon — best agnolotti del Plin I’ve ever had…

1 Like

Any recommendations for a home base town? (I need to find a place that will also take kids under 10). Thanks!

This place has changed owners since I was there but it’s probably “kid friendly” and there’s room to roam.

It’s really close to Alba. You could walk back if needed, if you know what I mean. LOL

Villa La Favorita

1 Like

Jim,

Could you provide any guidance on Super Green pass or other vax requirements? Thanks

I traveled freely with my CDC card — that’s all I can really say. When most saw it, it seemed foreign to them, but, they didn’t ask questions.

I plan to visit Chiara Boschis in July. “Neutral” doesn’t sound to enthusiastic though…

We were there in early April, met Jim Dove one evening, and my dining notes are in this recent post. Dining and lodging in Piemonte, Portovenere, Florence, Bologna, Venice, Verona, and Lake Garda - Travel, Wine Tourism, and Restaurants Forum - WineBerserkers

Cheers! [cheers.gif]