Time to treat ourselves. Open a precious bottle

Great idea! Opened one of my 2011 chevillon NSG chaignots 1er.
With…corn pizza and asparagus!!!
8A1A3E85-7059-4CFB-9ADA-5593BC506256.jpeg

I went to an old fave…

FCC53EEF-99D5-4065-85EC-639E98572478.jpeg

Nice choice Robert.

I am going to grab a very good Champagne this weekend. Laura and I have been anxiously waiting to celebrate my all clear diagnosis.

Thanks, David. Yes just got a bunch in so was tempted to try it. No notes here or on CT. Paired with grilled pork loin, some really fat and juicy asparagus, finished off on the grilled, and charred corn salsa. The 2006 JG is really solid, not at the level of 2003, 01 or the mid-90s, but I do like that it shows far less oak than the 09. This is pretty classic Cab-based claret. A Paulliac nose of cassis, smoke and pencil. Meaty on the palate, dense and layered but not heavy. Still youthful but some notes of dry earth, leather, tobacco and charcoal arise. A little chewy but not unexpected given the vintage and youth. Tannins chalky and just a tad dry on the finish, were I to quibble, the only detractor.

0085B71D-3CF5-47FC-A86E-53EB09E1315C.jpeg

Krug, SQN, and Cotat are helping…

05 Bouchard Volnay Cuvée Ancienne Carnot. Nice.

How was the oak and tannins?
Thnx

I am thinking that out of my decent sized collection, due to the scary uncertainty of CoronaVirus and that the enire world has come to a standstill, will open a unicorn wine that I was fortunate enough, to have snagged at Troquet’s summer sale. There was only a bottle or two at retail a few years back, and I am pretty doubtful I will ever find it again.
To avoid further suspense, the wine was a 1974 Ingleneook, The wine was so youthful whwn we had it at a small oflline that it floored me. I have a sole bottle and am praying that it has been treated well, but I have no idea what this particular bottle will taste like. If it sucks, we move on to a serious Champagne, probably an 08 Dom, or 08 Cristal, as they are both stunning wines. The Dom in particular shows amazingly well for such a young wine. Fortunately I bought several btls, and will age a few, for a dozen or more years, when I cannot even imagine how good they will be.

Had the same idea myself. I have an '02 Comtesse Pichon-Lalande scheduled for this evening and either an '83 Dr. Bartolet Volnay Clos de la Barre or an '08 Dom for next Saturday.

Love this. And had a similar thought.

Drank a 2009 Cayuse Armada with burgers off the grill as we were canceling our spring-break trip the other day.

all well integrated.

By no means a special bottle, but I’m making a Chana Massala tonight. Instead of chickpeas I’m using chickpea pasta. Opening a basic Muscadet with it, which is a fantastic pairing.

I’ve discovered that the wines my wife keep going back to pour more of are almost always well-made and younger red Burgundy. With that in mind, we opened a 2016 Cathiard Vosne Romanee. It disappeared far to quickly, a wonderful and approachable drink. I hope everyone enjoys a bottle soon as much as we enjoyed ours.

Standing on the counter is a mini vertical of Philip Togni 1993, 1994 and 1997 which I was planning to serve at lunch last Friday. Instead we are going to end up having to drink them alone over the next week.

Will have to start digging around and see if I have anything I consider precious enough to not consider opening. Only too young to enjoy would dissuade me.

Picked up a 1 1/2 inch thick Dry Aged Bone in Ribeye for tonight’s dinner, definitely going with a favorite big Red.

Alan, thanks for the note on the '05 Carnot, as I’m sitting on a few and haven’t opened any yet.

Tonight, our local Pi Pizzeria (home of the country’s best Chicago-style deep dish pizza, right here in St. Louis) has their annual Pi Day special so while not a “precious unicorn” I’ve opened a suitable and hopefully very nice one - 2001 Ciacci Pianrosso. Opening taste - ready to rock but maybe a bit burly and overripe for my tastes, as Ciacci can be (stated alc was 14,6, IIRC). Standing open now, will decant when I order the pies. Even if not my ideal, should be very fine.

2002 Monte Bello in decanter and a pot roast in the oven.

Love this idea and decided to go “off the board” with a (hopefully inaugural) Brandy from Jamie Kutch.

This 2013 Brandy was a recent offering from Kutch and it really hits the spot tonight. Lush and flavorful (even a but jammy) the slight bite warms the soul. Rumor has it the unique alcohol distillation protects you from the SARS-Cov-2 virus and who am I to question it?

Drink well tonight friends.

Cheers!
Kutch Brandy Square.jpg