Tinned Sardines - Conservas de Cambados

Save the oil! Don’t let it go to waste.

Definitely. Do not discard the oil.

I have not had these, but have added Nola’s sardines to a saute of olives, garlic, artichoke hearts, whatever might be in the fridge, red pepper flakes, and finish with a generous poke of butter. Easy peasy and delicious over pasta along with a crisp white; puttanesca sans tomatoes.

1 Like

Love this idea also! This jumps ahead of Ritz crackers I am afraid Scott!

Also from Yves Camdeborde:

“When I come home at night I’m hungry, I go home, I take my can of sardines, I open it and I put it in my oven at 100 ° C for 4 to 5 minutes. They will start to smoke a little, to confit, I put a few drops of wine vinegar on it, I accompany it with a nice salad, or endives, it’s a marvel!”

1 Like

I now have a serious problem.

I only have the one tin. :frowning:

Will have to hunt out a local supplier.

Or order Nola’s sardines (Veleta). Just sayin…

She delivers to Toronto?

I think the answer is maybe:

Re: Veleta EVOO & Gourmets of Spain Berserker Day 10 Deals
#49 Post by Nola Palomar » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:52 pm

David Cooper wrote: ↑Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:34 pm
Hi Nola. Can you ship the canned and bottled items to Canada?

by Nola Palomar » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:52 pm
I have never tried, up for it!!

I love good quality canned sardines. Besides ideas above, we sometimes do a Bittman recipe for quick lunch of mostly pantry stuff. Crumb some stale bread, toast it in oil, remove, sautee onions and add sardines, citrus zest, capers. Mix sardines and pasta, add the bread crumbs and lots of parsley.

1 Like

I read this thread and was like why didn’t I order the sardines? I checked and I did order.

My supplier is Conservas de Cambados. I have known Keko the owner since the 1990’s when we started importing our EVOO, we also began importing their seafood and the Sherry vinegar. He was just a young man back then, but they have been the A+++ producer of conserved fish and seafood in Spain for decades. There are new producers with fancy designs, marketing props like famous chefs on their labels and gimics, but none have reached the consumer confidence that Keko and his family have achieved. They are very pricey but to me, they are worth it.

The sardines I order though are a bit smaller and more delicate than the ones above. Mine are 16-22 little ones per tin.

I have not tried to ship to Canada but send me a pm with your address and I’ll see if it’s feasible. If not, I have a new project brewing with a the Country to the north… [wow.gif] [wow.gif] [wow.gif]