TN: 01 Beaucastel

I was buying on release from a retailer who sourced through Vineyard Brands, one of the West Coast US importers. My typical buy was a 6-pack in wood, but I bought a few magnums along the way from the same source. No issues with provenance, and I have not purchased on the secondary market or auction market.

I have never bought except on arrival and only 750sā€¦ Back in the 80s and early 90s, that, unfortunately, did not protect you since Beaucastel was frequently shipped in the summer without heat protection. I believe that has no longer been the case for some time. But bottles that had escaped heat damage, if well stored, always lasted years and years. Yes, many CdPs from the 90s are over the hill. Not all CdPs age. But Beaucastel is one that does.

The 1989 I drank midway through 2020 was simply amazing, with tons of life. Same for 2001. They will go the distance and add complexity for decades.

So sounds like the trick is to get the 750ml upon release and store them in a cellar. Secondary market can be tricky.

Any other producers besides Beaucastel that you think can age well? Do you think Beaucastels age well because they use more grape varietals in their blends than others?

Itā€™s worth it, though many vintages drink really well young. The 89 and 90 have been great in recent years, and I recently had an 85 that I expected might be tiring, and it was even better than I remembered it, very close to the level of 88/90.

To my taste, the 2001 hasnā€™t reached that level yet. It was the most promising young Beaucastel I tasted between the 1989 and the 2010.

Speaking of Beaucastel, I used WineAccessā€™ new notification feature and saw that they got more 2006 Beaucastel in. They have it at $99, but you can find a 20% off coupon code on the boards.

Ordered this earlier last year and it was in a great place. Only decanted for 30 minutes and developed nicely throughout the meal.

Not sure how many they have left, but hereā€™s the link: 2006 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape Rhone Valley

Itā€™s not a referral link, donā€™t care about earning credits-- just want others who enjoy Beaucastel to grab an aged one in great condition.

Other CdPs that are long agers are Pegau, Vieux Telegraphe, Charvin and really, at least a couple of handfuls of others. I would say that the large proportion of Mourvedre in Beaucastel (which is a variety, not a varietal, by the way) might have some influence on how it ages. But Rayas, for example, which is 100% Grenache is known to age for many years. If you know why one wine ages and another does not, you are one up on me.

Good to know about Pegau and Vieux Telegraphe. I have some bottles of the '16 vintage for them so guess I"ll look for some older vintages to get a sense for how they age and taste. I was just speculating if the different grape varieties in Beaucastel have an impact-- so who knows?

Wonder if we have a resident Southern Rhone expert on the forums who can chime in on this.

There was a huge drop of Beaucastel on Winebid 18-24 months ago. Lots of 01 regular & Hommage for a relative steal. Fantastic provenance, wish I would have bought a lot more.