TN: ‘18 Pezzato

Opened a bottle tonight and very impressed. It’s an elegant cab, with the fruit you’d expect from Napa but balanced and nuanced. Drink now and keep a few bottles to age.

Also had this tonight and thought it was fantastic. Punches way above it’s weight class, I suspect would smoke most Cabs at >$100 in a head to head

Betty, thank you so much! I’m thrilled that you enjoyed Pezzato.

Cheers,

Michael

1 Like

Jake, thank you for the feedback. You basically spelled out our goal in producing Pezzato perfectly! Produce a Napa Cab at a great price that punches well above its weight class. So glad that you enjoyed!

Cheers,

Michael

This sounds amazing. Looking forward to receiving my BD shipment next week. Now regretting only ordering 3. Planning on holding 2, opening 1 and reporting back.

My order just arrived.

I’m going to be cautious with these. I probably won’t open one until the fall.

Just picked up a few of the '19s. Great price point ($65) and I really enjoyed the '18 when I tried it a few months ago. Not surprisingly it will benefit from a lot of air and or a few more years in the bottle.

1 Like

I’m going to buy some, too. My only hesitation is “juicy aromas of strawberries” in their tasting note. For reasons that are truly idiosyncratic, I cannot stand the smell or taste of strawberries in or out of wine. Really enjoyed my first bottle of the 2018, though, so I’ll risk it.

JD described blue fruit in his review, but not strawberry

I really enjoyed the Pezzato I purchased on Berserker Day. Very complete and satisfying Cabernet.

I was quoting the tasting note from Michael that appeared when I was viewing my allocation. He made a similar reference to strawberry during the recent Zoom tasting. But, yes, I probably should derive comfort from the fact that JD didn’t call out red fruit or strawberry. Thanks for enabling my purchase :slight_smile:

Haha. Wasn’t arguing with the tasting note but pointing out a different opinion. We can try one in six months and decide which one we agree with!

Jonathan:

I appreciate your critical thinking on this one! When I was writing the tasting note I was heavily comparing the '19 to the '18. I get more blue fruit on the '18 and more red fruit on the '19. The '19 isn’t necessarily over-the-top ripe strawberry, in my opinion, but I definitely get more strawberry as compared to the '18. Andrea and I opened a bottle of the '19 tonight to toast the release and it’s bordering on ripe strawberry seed as opposed to ripe jammy strawberry. I hope that you find something that you enjoy in the '19. If you don’t, message or email me and we’ll make it right.

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you, Jason! Thrilled to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Michael

Owen:

Jeb is a true professional and a great person. He hasn’t tasted the '19 in its final form. I’m curious to read what he writes once he does flirtysmile .

Cheers,

Michael

i guess i buy an average amount of napa cab in the 50-80 dollar price range, the usual players/board favorites. pezzato is a wine that is a man amongst boys. more weight and structure (density may be the word) without being flabby or clumsy. in terms of specific fruit, i think when people pick out specific fruits that’s individual to their taste buds. ymmv.

1 Like

This is a good point. That said, there are tons of Pinots (particularly Oregon) and Grenache-based wines (particularly Southern Rhone) that I don’t enjoy drinking because the red fruit melange includes strawberry. But enough thread drift from me. I’ll post a TN when I finally try the 2019 Pezzato.

I’ll be placing my order shortly. I’ll be sure to post a TN when I open my first bottle, but I’m definitely not looking for a money back guarantee :slight_smile:

1 Like

Steve: You’ve made my day!

Cheers,

Michael

1 Like

I’m buyin’, and I gotta say - I love the generous guaranteed allocation window. Feels like the approach is starting to go away a bit, it’s nice to know I needn’t rush for my CC.

1 Like