TN: 1969...DP, Heitz, Freemark Abbey, Yquem

Joe’s 69 MV was his masterpiece (according to Joe) and he handpicked the best barrels of MV for the MV bottling that year and the rest went into the C-91(as was his custom until '74 when ALL the MV went into the MV bottling). Of course, his son made the '74 (Joe was in the hospital with a bad back) so there’s that as well. Also, all of the '71 MV went into the regular Napa bottling without and specific lot #.

Ray,

I think DP actually started using foil with some of the original 1969 releases. I don’t know the exact ratio of the two or timing, but I’m pretty sure the 1969 was originally released in both plastic and foil and both styles went out to most markets depending on disgorgement and labeling. Now, obviously, there is no easy way to tell for many bottles with foil if it is an original or late release.

Brad,

You may be correct, but I’m relaying what Richard told me years ago.
Also, anecdotally, almost every '69 DP with foil has been far fresher and superior to the other capsule.

A perfect bottle of '69 Dom Oeno still probably the greatest Champagne I have had…

In 2008 I brought a bottle of it - disgorged in 2006 - to start off a La Tache vertical including 8-10 good to great vintages.

The DP was the unanimous wine of the night.

Yummmy - '69 DP Oeno! Happy bday Buzz - keep celebrating my friend. CHEERS