TN: 1986 Ravenswood Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma County (USA, California, Sonoma County)

Sounds like a perfect match with the ribeyes. Fat and acid!

110%. When people tel me they are afraid to decant older wine I tell them exactly the same as you said.

Well stored well made older wine need air to stretch their legs

My turn. Stood it for a couple days. Just pulled the cork which was soaked maybe 20% and firm throughout. The provenance is immacualte as we know and this cork held up as well as any. Thats a great start. Decanted off the sediment which was less than some or the zins and merlot but still a nice amount. Will sit in decanter for an hour before it goes back in the bottle and I head to friends for the usual Friday Hoedown. Will report back

Love Love Love Cali '86s. Have opened many and they’ve been great. Pahlmeyer, Montelena, Caymus, Laurel Glen, even Silver Oak. All delicious and in the groove. Great vintage.

As expected a wow wine experience. Looking at the notes by David and Todd our experience was definitely more in line with Todd’s. Lots of beautiful red fruits with the usual acidity though that dissipated with time. Very little of the leather, no tobacco and thankfully no green pepper notes which plague many cooler climate cabs. Was a gem and glad I was able to enjoy and share with dear friends that appreciated it as well

opened a bottle of this on my wife’s birthday at the beginning of the month and it was awesome. we were in the slightly darker fruit realm more like david but with a brightness to balance that was perfect. like Todd noted, feels like those old bordeaux that are why so many people got into wine and still chase the ghost of those old wines. got to share it with a bunch of people and to a person we were all happily blown away

1 Like