TN: 1994 Gallo Family Vineyards / Gallo of Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon Estate

You might be surprised…

• 1997 Gallo Family Vineyards / Gallo of Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon Barrelli Creek Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (9/20/2016)
    An old friend…a wine boards darling back in the day…I was told I alone with my praise of this wine accounted for 100’s of cases to be snatched up the days I posted a note!! :wink: Oh the days of the ultimate QPR…they just don’t make um like they use to!
    Well…decided to check in on this 19yr old…since today is the wife and I’s 19th Anniversary(had Gallo wine at reception…I’m from Modesto people)! Bubbly later…the Gallo is kind of like us now…older, yet still rockin! Still plenty of sweet plum, cherry, currant fruit…little sour skin…but alive non the less. Lots of sediment in this bottle, which there has always been from day one…REALLY nice leather and old cellar dust, cedar spice, mint/decayed leaves, compost, tobacco pouch. Acidity had soured…short and drying finish…but still enough sweet fruit to balance. This wine was never suppose to be this complex, never suppose to age…it’s Gallo for God’s sake! But it is, it did…suck it Screagle! (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Cool note, Buzz (and everyone else)!

I see cases of Screaming Eagle in the background [cheers.gif] .

Well done Buzz and happy anniversary!

John
Bag those bad boys up and serve them at the next wine gathering. Blind is always fun…

Buzz, I recall our mutual admiration for 97 Barrelli on WestCoastWine about 16 years ago.
I will definitely be giving another a try within too long as I just toted one home from the offsite
image.jpg

I loved the 97 Barrellis when they were young too, although the Estate is a bit more refined, less chunky.

Too bad they don’t seem to have the program still going.

I believe that Gallo now sells the output of those named vineyard plots to high-end producers, so that it can focus more on profitable, high-volume brands. Sad loss.