TN: 1996 Burgundy Retrospective - The first session.

In general, it would be interesting how the 96s will develop.

I just added the second session. To clarify, the 96s still showed strong acidity and remained a bit angular.

Thanks for the update, Kevin. I may have missed it, but what sort of prep did the wines get? I’ve noticed with 96’s more so than many other vintages, that they really need air. I’ve had a number of very grumpy wines upon opening, that have not really shown until 2-3 hours later. (FWIW, the JF. Mugnier Musigny we recently had was from 750, and was much more expressive than you describe, and didn’t have the ash/asparagus thing. I believe it was opened and double decanted about 3 hours or so before tasting.)

I believe all, except the Mugnier Musigny mag were opened an hour or two prior and drank over three to four hours.

Kevin

I opened both a Rousseau Chambertin 2006 and a Vogüé Musigny VV 2006 two weeks ago.
The Chambertin 2006 was young and great (the Bartolo Mascarello Barolo 2006 could not challenge it).

The Musigny 2006 was very difficult to approach and my friends even had some difficulty to state pinot noir …
I remember you tasted it last year :
2006 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Musigny Cuvée Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Musigny Grand Cru
Medium expressive nose displaying subtle red and black fruit, blackberry, cherry candy, Asian spices, lavender and earth. Fully integrated sensual palate, fluid and weightless, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a long subtle black fruit driven finish. Excellent showing. (95 pts.)

I forgot to say that the 1996 Vogüé Bonnes-Mares and the 1996 Vogüé Chambolle Amoureuses did not bring me a great pleasure whan I opened them in 2007 (Bonnes-Mares) and 2003 (Amoureuses).

Laurent - FWIW a 1996 Les Amoreuses from Vogue ~4 years ago is still vivid in my memory because it was soooo good. Double decanted at the time.

The way Kevin depicts a 22 years old still very austere Vogüé Musigny VV 1996 ( … “another decade of cellaring will require to lessen oak and gain complexity” …) particularly interested me …

For me, some disappointment, 22 novembre 2003 :
Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru - Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – Amoureuses 1996 :
LG16? – PC16 – PP14,5 – VM15 – JP? – DS14,5
Le bouquet décline de la griotte, des notes florales et …. c’est tout.
La bouche prête à discussion. Côte pessimistes, vin un peu simple et étriqué, doté d’une matière intermédiaire avec de la griotte pour tout viatique; les plus optimistes le considèrent fermé et lui trouvent du fond et de la race. Eu égard au prestige du flacon, on croise des doigts pour son rétablissement.