TN: 1996 Château Montus Madiran (France, Southwest France, Madiran)

I can only speak to bottles from the '90s, but I believe they are not only of high quality, they have magical ability to fill in some gaps with food pairings. Cassoulet, for instance. Sure, plenty of red wines will work well, but something about Madiran can combine like nothing else. Maybe it’s a difference in texture, as well as flavor components. I feel it’s like putting cold butter on your bread versus softened - the first may taste great, but it isn’t going to seep into the bread. Of course you don’t need a madiran to enjoy cassoulet. But it does give an extra kick up to the pairing, if you are open to the experience…

1 Like

Thanks for bringing this thread up. I don’t drink much madiran, but YES, a good one is always a high foodie experience for me when cassoulet is on the menu.

Also good to learn about the transformation with recent vintages. I recently had, April 2020, not the same as the TN but a 2001 Dom. Laffont ‘Erigone’. Harsh and backward were what I remember and took all of the fatty ribeye at home to help tame the wine. But that is how I remember the mid-90s ones that i’ve had before. Also had a madiran from last decade’s vintage and did note with some surprise the apparent softness.

Also see the 2014 Château Bouscassé Madiran for $15.

I’ve been buying the Bouscasse for a few years now from Costco and have a little vertical going back to 2010. I enjoy them with the Keller short rib recipe a couple times a year. I’m still surprised it shows up year after year. It’s one of the most consistent wines for such a low price.

1 Like

Good price for the wine. Unless we’re talking about the magnificent Montus wines of the 1990’s, I’ve always found Bouscassé much more enjoyable than Montus.

EDIT: The older Bouscassé wines are brilliant too!