TN: 1996 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut (France, Champagne)

Ray,

Have you seen any difference in the 96 between bottles and mags?

Dan

twice as much wine in the mags–at three times the price.

And now worth five times the price [snort.gif]

Count me in that small minority that prefers the 96 Krug over the 96 Salon.

Wouldn’t mind being in that camp by myself actually :slight_smile:

From release until now, these two have pretty much been considered in the top handful of the best of the '96 Champagnes.

Had them so many times side by side and separately that I can only conclude that IMHO they are both great, but the Salon is still the greater.

Personal preference of style and all that though…

Fred,

Not sure you’re in the small minority. Most of the people I drink with prefer the '96 Krug, including myself.
Not that I think the '96 Salon isn’t a great Champagne, but I think the Krug is superior especially due to Salon’s variability. Many bottles are spectacular while some fall a bit short of such lofty praise.

Funny, because most of the people I drink with prefer the 96 Salon and as you can see by the replies in this thread, most people prefer the Salon. Works out for me because more 96 Krug for me.

You at one time owned a large amount of the bottles available in the US? Wished I had gone long on this one Ray. BTW, I do prefer this to the Krug but I am also in the minority on this.

I still chuckle over the thread that stopped when Rob Rosario chimed in. Thread was “What’s the wine you own most of?” And people were talking bottles to a few cases of this and that. He wrote that he had 500 cases of 1996 Salon and the internet went silent.

I don’t know which was more surprising: The fact that he had 500 cases, or the fact that, despite his shy unassuming demeanor, he was so forthcoming with the volume of his inventory.

Those were just six-packs, so it’s not really that much.