TN: 1996 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut (France, Champagne)

Had a bit of bottle variation in the early days with the '96 Salon, but the last half a dozen or so have been nothing short of splendid. One of my favourite Champagnes of all time.

I had a 1997 a few years ago that I thought was far better than this ‘96. I also love Comtes and Peters Chetillons, as does Kirk, but I haven’t had enough Salon to know how the styles compare. Still, the ‘96 shouldn’t be far inferior to the ‘97, should it?

Hi Doug,

The '97 Salon is an excellent '97, but not a patch on the '96.

Cheers
Jeremy

I had a couple of duff bottles of 1996, but when it is on, it is glorious. Actually the percentage of bad bottles is the worst of any Champagne I have had. Anecdotal of course, I would hope that the magnum of 2008 is a little more consistent.

Happy you had a great bottle.

Love the 96 Salon and evidently have had good fortune in opening only stellar bottles, early on and more recently. Over 5 years ago, I held a Grandes Marques champagne event and we had 2 of them in addition to many other great ones including DPs, CdCs, Krugs, SWCs and on, most from great vintages. Both Salons were hands down the co-WOTN.
Got 2 more in the cellar stash and salivating thinking of them.

'96 Salon is my favorite Champagne ever. And I generally find Salon overpriced and overrated.

This is the best to me. I like Salon. I LOVE the 96 Salon. It is so complex and fresh.