TN: 1999 Chateau Lanessan. This is why we do it.

Alfert is the man. I just randomly got '16 Lanessan in OWC (it’s not modern yet, okay) for a close friend’s anniversary year. Neither us of really buy Bordeaux, either. Gonna be fun!

Oh cool, let me know your thoughts. I’d give it a second look.

I passed on 2003, Really tough vintage except for top-tier Northern Medocs, including Sociando, which is Norther of St Estephe.

That DOES sound fantastic. I like the sound of a mix of oak and amphorae. Alas, not carried in Illinois.

I bit on one of these for $20 too. Looking back at my TN, I wrote it was a decent QPR but not memorable on day 1 (87). Then I revisited the rest of the bottle 2 days later, and found it had opened up quite nicely, gaining a lot of nuance… and gave it a 90. I had a note that I should pick up a bunch more but then sadly never followed through.

1 Like

Nice! I also picked up a case of the '99 @ about $20 from K&L a few years ago. I’ve got 8 or 9 left. Each has been very nice and got better with air.

This is why we do it!!! But in this case the 2001. Into my last case. The room butterflied with sweet juicy red fruits cassis and black current. Lovely aromas of wet roses, dark cherries, worn polished leather, wiff of cigar. The rim has a very slight orange red tint. All confirmed on the palate. Plenty of acidy red and black fruits. I think this wine can deliver another 5+ years. The finish is long. First growth NO…but in its own way better because it is classic bordeaux with memories of drinking Lanessan with my father all too many years ago. It is a beautiful drink. Represents my cellar in many ways. Pure and utter enjoyment. Pure class. 11 more left…if you have some enjoy!

2 Likes

I’m very very jealous, this 2001 is one of my fave old Lanessan. And I’m totally out wah wah!! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

2001 is such a good vintage. Sociando definitely comes to mind.

1 Like

I believe I have posted on Lanessan on this board more than once. As in it is my favorite QPR from planet earth.

Why limit it to 20 years?

I posted a few years ago on my last 1966, which was easily a 90 point wine.

I posted after that on 1975 Lanessan, also well over 90 points and great right now. I have four bottles left, but won’t open one until 2025. I’m not a numerology nut, but there’s something about drinking fifty year old Cru Bourgeois that you bought for fifteen bucks.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

I’ve recently discovered Lanessan and haven’t been able to locate any with age. Has annybody had any of the recent vintages? Able to find ‘18, ‘19, and ‘20. Which vintage would you stock up on? Thanks!

2 Likes

“Good Ordinary Claret” to quote a phrase. Ok, add Very.

Let’s face it, we need wines for Monday - Thursday. :grinning:

1 Like

Fwiw I had 1990 Lanessan a month ago (on a Saturday), excellent, very satisfying with dinner, fully mature but no hurry (into neck level)

Blaming this board (looking at you @Robert.A.Jr) I recently found a case of 2014 at a local shop and got it for 14€ per, added cases of 19 and 20 for roughly the same cost.

Looking through old data I found I had a 2010 drunk in 2015 …

1 Like

Haha, cool! The 2014 is outstanding.

Let us know what you think of the 19 and 20. I stopped buying after Bouard became involved in 15 and 16, and now Penfolds owns it. I noticed more gloss and toast in 15 but I think Bouard is now no longer involved.

Side note, amazing that we can still get this wine for under $20!

1 Like

Different strokes. Yes I enjoy like the rest of you the Lanessans, Pitray ($15) Chases Spleen etc. Very good wines, but nobody will ever mistake them for a great Bordeaux in full cry.

The last few vintages of Beychevelle have certainly changed. Instead of the austere wines with tons of complexity, they have become richer and fatter, almost certainly at the expense of complexity and longevity.

True, but it’s so seldom (but more than never) that I actually want one of those top Bordeaux experiences that it’s no longer worth the chase. I can just drink up some of the small stash of top wines I do have.

It also sort of misses the point of the thread. I don’t think any of us are saying that Lanessan is in the top tier of Bordeaux experiences. What it delivers, historically, is very fine quality for the price, and at least vintages through 2014, demonstrable ability to age, mature and gain complexity for those that are more patient. Contrary to popular belief, I am not regularly popping $100 dollar plus bottles of classified growth Bordeaux on Monday nights, and often I don’t even seek that depth of revelatory experience. Sometimes I just want to be sitting at the kitchen counter with a pizza, a pair of shorts on with my baseball cap, and and a quaint bottle of Bordeaux. That’s what Lanessan js.

1 Like

+1 this :point_up:

Need to stock up on more Lanessan! I had a bottle of '85 last winter and it was great. Have one left.

Don’t want to send this thread too far off track but does anyone know how/if Lanessan has changed under the Penfolds ownership?

2 Likes