TN: 2000 Chateau Lanessan, Haut-Medoc

I am a fan of this chateau, with the 2000 one of the good ones. That said, I think the 2009 Lanessan could be the ‘best ever’, to borrow a phrase from Jimmy Suckling. It needs more time to peak though.

I am a huge fan of 2009 as well. Could possibly be the brightest Lanessan that I have ever had. And perhaps the most enjoyable on release. Does not drink like a warm '09 vintage wine.

Of the wines within the Bouard stable, La Fleur de Bouard would not be the one I would pick for you. And I am not sure you’d like even Angelus, but it is a wine I very much appreciate in many vintages (it likely is not a wine I would buy in a vintage like 2009 – even if it weren’t priced in the stratosphere)

I should probably note that this wine is just utterly stupid good now at 3 hours open. Wife grilled a killer skirt steak with chimichurra on it, grilled asparagus, jasmin rice and a simple salad with olive oil and balsamic. This is a good night. Having fun helping my kid with college applications and decisions. We did Xmas lights earlier. I’d likely killer the bottle tonight but I have a major workday tomorrow out of town, hitting the road early. Interested to see this wine on day two. May pop the '99 tomorrow as well.

I’ve got one or two bottles of the 2000. Thanks for the note, I’ll move one to the front of the queue.

Robert, I would try the 12s in a few years. Elegant mineral driven, in context. Le Plus might be a bit modern but the fdb will probably be drinking right in your wheelhouse. And for a very value oriented Bordeaux I am very impressed by 12 and 14 Le Lion de FdB. I think it is 16, though, that will mark a new chapter with the property. I’m very excited for the 16s in general!

Ha, I have not even started to hear news on 2016! The 2015 vintage was quite hyped. I bought a fair bit of 2014s and swore, at my ripe old age of 50, that it would be my last year of futures. I’ve held true, no 2015s, but have been thinking of some exceptions in 375 format.

2016 will be good from what I read

A quote from Cheval Blanc:

“We never could have imagined back in June that we would be harvesting such a promising vintage under these perfect harvest conditions”

Perfect, for young Bucks like you. Me, on the other hand, I’m falling apart. I’m Willing my cellar stocked with musty, thin and weedy wines to you and Corey. I may send one classic Chinon to Neal so he can sip, spit and toss in my honor.

Yeah it’s not being hyped in the press yet. But the end of summer and the shape those berries were in, they have some killer stuff to work with. Bordeaux is made to drink younger and younger nowadays, for better or worse. Might be worth taking an interest in some 375s as well in 16… but we’ll know more after EP. My guess, and it’s only a foolish and too early one at that, would be a vintage between 08 and 10 stylistically if that makes any sense…

And the 15s are tasting great so far. Great quaffers with a richness on the low end and very deep wines on the upper end, especially from the southern left bank and pomerol/SE.

[rofl.gif]

Toss or hurl?

My last 2000 went down this summer. Big mistake of only buying 6. I didn’t make that same mistake with the '05’s.

Thanks for the quote from Leve’s website :smiley: FWIW, while I would not think the LFDB is your kind of wine, it’s made from ripe fruit neener FYI The blend has remained consistent over the years. In 2015, you have 82% Merlot, 14% Cabernet Franc and 4% Cabernet Sauvignon. In 1999, the wine has 80% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon. That is only 1% different…

Oh Jeff…facts? Really? :wink:

The wines from La Fleur de Bouard are nice wines, provided that is the style you are into. I am always struck by the feeling, in their youth, they don’t seem to communicate much regarding their fruit, while the oak always speaks very loudly. Most recently tasted the 2014 when at Angelus two weeks ago and it remains true to this style. Very well made wines though. FWIW (probably not much!) I liked the 2015 Lanessan, although that comes with all the usual barrel sample caveats.

[tt][/tt]

Aha, so the formula was not working! [cheers.gif]

No really, why the reversion back to more Cab Franc? I assume it was vintage specific, but curious.

De Board does make some good wines, and I did a large scale tasting of Angelus a couple of years ago (Virtual Gourmet) and they were almost without exception, delicious. Probably not a wine I would choose to buy, as they have become ridiculously expensive, but I do have a few in my cellar. They are somewhere in between classic and modern St. Emilion, and as someone who likes my wines made traditionally, they represent an acceptable compromise.

As for Lanessan, great house wines. I opened a couple of 2010s at Thanksgiving for a large crowd, and ended having to go home (a few blocks away) to get more. Absolutely delicious. And here’s the rub; given the choice of 15 bottles of this or one Angelus, no contest, Lanessan every time.

Robert… The vineyard plantings remain the same. You’re talking about a 1% variance in the blend. I am not sure why you consider that a change.

Jeff, on some of the intervening vintages, the cab franc component was cut in half.