TN: 2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard

I was pretty surprised when I went into my cellar and saw that one there. So, that one could be the next one to go down. I have some wines I have ignored since I went so crazy over Champagne in the last couple of years. I’ll write some notes as I open them.

The 2000 is marvelous right now. 2003 is, possibly, as good as it’s ever going to get; if it gets better, I’ll be surprised if it’s drastic. As crazy as it may be to say for an 18 yo Pinot, I believe the 2001 is still somewhat closed.

2005 needs more time. 2007 will benefit from more time, too, but I think the '03 is a smarter drink at this point in time if you have some of both.

Ymmv.

I agree with everything Brian said above. Within the last 2 weeks I have had the 00’ Francesca, 01 Pisoni, and the 03’ Pisoni. The Francesca was out of this world good and didn’t make it to day 2. It’s in a beautiful spot right now.

We ended up opening up 2 01’s. The first 01’ was infected with TCA and the second was not good on day 1 or 2. Maybe just bad luck.

The 03’ was shy but solid on day 1 and then on day two it was probably one of the top Arcadian’s I have ever had. I would suggest giving the 03’ some air and letting is sing. It’s a special wine.

Thank you, gentlemen, I took these notes down and put a copy in the cellar with the wines.

Starting tonight with Billecart Salmon Brut Reserve, then with the Beef Stroganoff the 2003 Arcadian Pisoni. It is already tasting good, but following the experts above, it is already in the decanter. Notes tomorrow.

Quick little drift… the 2000 Francesca’s is in the conversation for best Arcadian I’ve had. It’s a gobsmacking knee-buckler.

Well, the alfresco dinner was a hit. So was the 2003 Pisoni. Gave it 4-5 hours of air after pulling the cork, tasting it from the bottle, and recorking. Seemed like a perfect preparation. Not a drop left, and not a single tasting note other than “Fantastic!” A very nice follow on to the Champagne and a nice match with a light version of beef stroganoff.

Wonderful! What are your thoughts on the future for the 2003?

It think it’s got enough structure to go for quite awhile.

I would see no reason to hold the 2003 longer. Sadly, the only time you know you have held a wine too long is when you sense it has gone over the edge.

Great notes Merrill!

Cheers,
Doug

2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (8/22/2020)
– decanted one hour before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 3.5 hours –

NOSE: good amount of tertiary elements now; strong mushroom.

BODY: garnet color with slight bricking; color is of medium to medium-deep depth; medium bodied.

TASTE: first sip was quite tannic; more tertiary than primary; some woodsy spice; leans dark-fruited; it was kind of weird for the first hour or two of tasting (so two to three hours after opening), but additional air helped; this wine continues to show as reserved, relative to other vintages of the same; seeing as how the tertiary elements have really come along over the past few years, I wonder if this is ever going to be more “showy” — three more bottles in the cellar means I’ll find out. Drink Now with a multi-hour decant, and also over the next 5 to 10 years. Gut impression score: 91.

Well-played.
Thanks for the update! Wish I had a couple more. This is great wine.

My last bottle and I thought it would be a nice diversion on a cold rainy night. Popped and poured at cellar temp. Still incredibly dark burgundy color with no signs of bricking. Meaty, savory nose with a note of savage underbrush and dark black cherry. Lovely sappy red fruit, acidity and elegant texture on the palate. Great blend of refinement and power. Still going strong but not sure it will improve from here? Bravo Joe.