TN: 2002 Château Giscours (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux)

2002 is absolutely underrated, especially given how cheap it was on release without Parker to hype for wines (he skipping barrel tasting that year after 9/11 and for health issues). At least on the left bank, the wines have more fruit than their reputation suggests. But still it’s a medium bodied, food friendly, aromatically focused year where the wine taste unforced, unspoofed, real.

Sorry for the late response, missed this one:
01 Giscours
Entering a sweet spot, ripe cassis and wild cherries with a whiff of creekbed and cherry pie spice. Oak is pretty much all mixed into the wine at this point, and the tannin is not too far behind. Gorgeously balanced, this mid weight leans a hair to modernity, but only in concentration of its somewhat baked fruit flavors; it never runs too sweet or gives any hint of over ripeness, the fruit is just generously there (as is the acid, though more than I would prefer-but I prefer low acid Bdx). It’s classically endowed and the proportion of sensations takes its cue from a more modernized '96, albeit a few years younger. I’d pop sooner than later, it will hang on for another 10 years, but I doubt it’s going to get more thrilling. So start popping.
Didn’t write a score, I remember thinking between 94-96, but it was a dinner and I had a crazy hot date with a perfect portrait of JFK/sleeve tattoo… sooo taking complete notes be damned…

Just found 2 bottles of 2002 alter ego at an obscure wine retailer…can’t wait to pop one, its been 7 years since my last one… pretty stuff

I mean, seriously, get a room you two

As long as he brings Ki. . . .

Ki would probably prefer if I wasn’t involved

I have an '05 we can drink at an offline, with your blessings of course. [cheers.gif]