TN: 2002 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Perignon Andy Warhol Label

I’ve never even though about purchasing the Warhol and I guess now it really doesn’t matter. I’ll just purchase whatever is cheaper.

Tried this recently in a lineup of all the flagship bottles from 2002 (except cristal) and it was the clear standout in terms of balance, complexity and overall interest. It took this head-to-head to realize that this mass produced bottle is worth the $125 price tag. Others in the lineup included:

• bollinger GA
  • dom ruinart
  • Taittinger comtes
  • PJ belle epoque
    (No veuve LGD in 02 but had 04 which came in middle of pack)

I always thought Warhol and the Dom Perignon image went together swimmingly, regardless of the quality of the wine itself.

Didn’t learn my lesson……now trying the blue……still needs time! Razor sharp acidity still….hot tub of bubbles(funny though, no pop from the cork?)…but some air and a little warm up helps. More Salon in style than DP……SO fresh and alive……crushed stones…Les Perrières Puligny with bubbles! Just need to wait 5yrs or more……please! champagne.gif

Damn!

I hope your aim improves!

champagne.gif

I bought several cases of the '02 regular label, and a couple of cases of the Warhol. Opened one regular label last year, and wished I had waited. Way too young. Not popping another one until 2020.

At the time, Costco was selling the Warhol for the same price as the regular label…

A couple bottles opened recently seemed pretty expressive for my palate.

• 2002 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon - France, Champagne (7/4/2015)
    It could simply be my imagination but it is interesting how the 02 Doms are showing differently from bottle to bottle recently. Opened for a July fourth gathering, this is drinking perfectly in every ways. Very fresh cool delicate white fruits, a hint of lemon zest, apple flesh, honey, sweet spices and mineral. This bottle is unbelievably airy, incredibly fine mousse that is almost creamy, fresh cool white fruit driven palate impression, bright acidity and lovely long cool finish. This has evolved incredibly well. Once again I am pleasantly surprised by how ready it shows. This is a great Champagne. Definitely superior to the 02 Salon at less than half of the price. I highly recommend. (97 pts.)
  • 2002 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon - France, Champagne (4/16/2015)
    Purchased at release, this is the first bottle that is showing close to full maturity. No longer showing primary fruits, lemon curd, a hint of golden delicious, honey, sweet spices and mineral. The palate impression is no longer dense, quite airy, creamy, fine mousse, delicate yellow and red fruit driven palate impression, bright acidity and lovely clean finish. This has evolved as I predicted. I am somewhat surprised by how ready/mature this bottle is compare to the ones from last year. Beautifully balanced. I highly recommend. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

From a Zalto Bordeaux stem. Just outstanding.

glad to see good 02 Dom reports; my one experience found it wanting. Give me 96!

I’ve gone thru 3/4 of a case of the’02 Dom & find it quite nice with no complaints from any of the drinkers !
PS $99 from Premier Cru .

MY BAD , It’s the '03 !

So much variotion in these from bottle to bottle as Kevin and others note…it’s almost like there is 3 or 4 different Champagnes!

One is very pure, almost BdB like and fine, one is closed and just not showing much, one is very acidic and hard to drink needing much more time, one is really easy to drink and open, creamy and pretty much ready to go…

I had the opportunity to have a dinner in the 3 stars restaurant Kitcho in Kyoto. It was a fantastic experience. With Japanese friends we wanted to enjoy this dinner and we chose on the wine list :

• Krug Clos du Mesnil 1996
  • Salon 1996
  • Dom Pérignon 2002
    And when we had chosen, someone came to us, showed the different colors of Warhol bottles, and asked us : “which color would you like?”. As we had Salon, we asked the green Warhol label.
    We knew that the Dom Pé 2002 is the same in Warhol bottles or in normal bottles but I found absolutely charming that a sommelier asks us : “which color”. And in terms of marketing I find it a great idea, as it adds a point which is absolutely not necessary, but which gives a touch of unexpected.
    The liquid is the same, but the presentation adds a criteria of futility. And why not ! Imagine in a night club. You ask for Dom Pé and the waiter says : “which color?”. And you ask the charming lady who accompanies you : “what would you like?”. Bingo !

Wow. i did NOT put Francois as a night clubbin’ ladies man! Well done! champagne.gif

Hey Gene…are you popping now? [wow.gif] champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif

Hmmm, that sounds like a pretty good idea! Will have to grab one next time I hit up the offsite… champagne.gif

Curious…how many cases you have?

3 & 2

Coming over… [drinkers.gif]

For years I thought 02 Dom was tight and underwhelming. Recently I’ve thought it great with huge upside still. A couple months ago ‘95 original disgorgement was phenomenal and fresh with further improvement possible.